Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sammiefish

tired kohler K series starter

sammiefish
My 310 seems to be a bit hard to start these days... I think the starter seems to be just a little slower than it used to be so I end up cranking 3 or 4 times before it will start...(no, not the end of the world.. but not right either) Has anyone had experience rebuilding these starters or is is worth it to find a replacement... they seem to range anywhere from $50 to $250 for the starter itself. If I were to go the replacement route, is anyone aware of a source for replacement decals that go on the starter ("This engine is equipped with a 15 Amp alternator" etc.)

Brettw
I had a similar issue and determined it was the compression release on the Kohler that failed. A simple lightweight spring came unhooked. Huge difference. Also, be sure you depress the clutch/brake pedal. Taking the trans/hydro offline helps too. Don't know about rebuilts, but you're right, a new one will make your eyes water. About a buck sixty or so last time I checked from Sandy Lake. Wish I had a spare for you, but as you are finding, they are like gold! Good luck!

GregB
Before you spend high dollars, have you checked and cleaned every connection between the battery and starter terminal? A little corrosion can have large effects on voltage. The starter itself, can be pulled and tested at a starter repair shop. Try to find one that specializes in small engines, as they might be able to replace internal brushes and contacts. It could be the compression release spring as mentioned above, but if I remember that is a difficult fix. Start easy, then find the tougher (expensive) fixes My thoughts, (three cents on a good daysm03)