Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

WOW heavy Snow in Western MA

Boney

With my 725 I tried plowing this snow and on second pass pushing snow to the right I could not push any more without the tractor being pushed to the left. Heavy wet snow today. Maybe 6-8". I use rear wheel weights too.

Yuck what a mess, more water than snow....I was yet amazed just how the blower threw it. Nothing frozen, only one tractor near set up, ah yes the fun of winter is upon us........

Reeds, I agree with you, my snow blower worked great.....As much as I hate to say it I think I will be looking at a different tractor and blower,,,somthing that I will not have to get off the tractor to turn on/off and has an adjustable shoot from the seat......

I just obtained an old LP heater and hung it from the ceiling of my shop yesterday. I wanted something to knock the chill of cold weather off quickly until I could get a fire started. Today it was up to 61 degrees here today after getting over 2"s of rain overnight. My guess is I won't need the heater till tom. maybe.....

As usual, I'm behind the 8-ball. Had the blower on, but not the cab. So, I got soaking wet trying to blow it just as it turned to rain. Blower handled it pretty well, considering. But it was so wet, deep and heavy that the old 12HP wouldn't eat a full 42" cut without riding the clutch... Worst snow I've tried to deal with in several years...

I blame it on the kids, but my best decision to date was to 'upgrade' my snow clearing equipment. A leftover Snowbear plow for my F150 3 years ago at Lowe's ... heck for $800 it does a really good job. It helps having it twice the width of the 42" plows on the '64 LL, '66 101 and pair of BM's in the shed. Previously I was using the 40" 2-stage blower on my 18.5hp Poulan but I hated being cold... but boy would that thing blow! This wet stuff would reduce the distance some but it treated me right even in a few 18 to 22" storms. Nothing better now than saying alright everyone... hop in the truck so we can clear the driveway and head out for some nice breakfast out!!:D For anyone that has looked at them you'll agree that they aren't much to look at but when you are only doing your driveway save the extra $3000 in hydraulics cost for more tractor parts!! :)

I found a Site one time where the guys were all looking for late 80's Model Chevy trucks to set up for snow plowing.They were restoring these things to the hilt. Maybe not a bad idea,this truck/plow thing.

I feel like I did three linear miles yesterday with my 828 walk behind as I went thru almost two gallons of gaso. It seemed like every few steps I had poke back the slop down the spout. The mushy lumps left on the curb by the snowplows early yesterday turned out to be icy boulders this morning. The temperature dropped from about 35 deg F to -2 deg F this morning. Oh well look at it this way, in ten days the daylight starts growing again instead of shrinking, yippee8D.

The Gravely 2-wheeler (repowered w/Tecumseh OH-160;16HP) was having a tough time too with this 8" of Slurpee muck here in New Hampshire. Had to run the blower in high PTO range to get good throwing distance and the governor was more W.O.T. than not. Tom(PK)

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
Bob, put a blower on that landlord...Problem solved!:D
Mikw, I can do it quicker with a walk behind because of limited turn around space, and really I don't mind.

I was surfing youtube a bit yesterday looking at pictures of the railroad snow blowers. Man...impressive site seeing one of those loaded with snow at full throttle, shooting snow a hundred feet or more. Worth a look.