Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Replacement Engine Options for a Simplicity Serf 5

I need a replacement engine for a Simplicity Serf 525 Tractor manufactured in 1969. My understanding is that this engine is no longer available and I am looking for a suitable replacement of equal HP or larger. The original engine is a 5HP manual pull B&S Model 130902 Type 0173-01 Code 6811206. (Shaft is 1" diameter and 3.5" long.) (4 bolt mounting pattern 5.75" from bolt hole center to bolt hole center) Maximum height can be up to 11.5" Engine mounting base diameter can be up to 8.5". I have owned this tractor since new and the original engine has been rebuilt so many times that I would rather buy and install a new motor at this point. A 5HP motor would be fine but a larger one would do a better job for the snow blower attachment. Any thoughts or recomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Henry

I have a serf 525 that I purchased about 3 years ago and it is agreat machine it does alot of work for such a small machine. In one of the earlier posts around page 2 or 3 there is a guy that got a 12 horse engine in it and can only mow at half throttle maybe a little to big but ive been told an 8 horse can fit with little or no modifications if you do do this please keep us informed as to the ease. I may want to at some time as I am on the first engine still strong. I now mow with a brand new Regent (but I a still love my vintage Serf) just cant mulch. Doug

I am the guy that put a 12.5hp Briggs I/C vertical shaft engine in my 1967 Serf 515. The engine is only three years old and the only reason I put it in was because it only cost me $100. If you have any questions please e-mail me anytime I would be glad to be of help. Todd Martin martincowclock@aol.com