• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Architectdave

• BLT

• Burntime

• sammiefish

I'm surprised you 3000 series won't plow. My 3410 with chains (no wheel weights) has been unstoppable in my drive. I even plowed out several neighbors when we had about 8" of wet snow. covered with about 1/2 inch of ice, covered by heavy rainfall. My old Landlord 3 speed 10HP just blasts thru that stuff (smiling like a butcher's dog). Tacey

My snowblowers are shaft driven, so I'm not familiar with your set up. But are you sure you have the correct combination of pulleys? That thing should move snow to some degree regardless of the snow's weight.

quote:
Originally posted by Architectdave
So had to shovel him out to get the tractors and snow blower out. Think either of the teens went out and shoveled anything? I knew the 3314 would not push that much snow with a blade.
Since all I use are blades I can't help with the blower issue. Now as to the 3314 not pushing that much snow? We got 6-8 in here in W Mi and I have a 7116H that has a 46" HD blade on it and I plowed the heavy wet stuff up my drive way (Approx 120' at a 20deg angle.) I have weighted AG tires, 80# wheel weights and cross link quad chains (2 space). I do feel for you, I blew out a differential last winter right in the middle of some of the heaviest snow we have had for years with no backups. Ended up digging a parts tractor out of 3' of snow and stealing a differential off of it. But the biggest thing I see is the fact that neither teen helped. Ahhh in my house that would not happen. EVER. (Well maybe for a severe injury like a broken leg but otherwise... No Way..) They BOTH would have been out there. I speak from experience, two daughters and several boyfriends.

B-10 thats almost hateful taht comment :) vassal thanks for the kind words and thanks to the rest fo you guys for the support. Ismail - 3314 will push a bunch of snow but what we had and wet was jsut too much. My budy with his dump truck plow truck had trouble pushing this stuff around. Update: 5008 has a new battery and i removed the chute, wire wheeled it and its got 3 coats of new orange paint on the inside. Its sitting on my furnace in the basement to cure for a week or soe then i will wax up. Also installed some bug eye lights on it. Discovered why the walk behind ariens failed. The augers rusted to the shaft so the shear pins couldnt work and transfered the weak link to the gear box. Since the augers are frozen I can't dissassemble it to fix it but I have a plan to make a puller to remove the augers. Trying to find a replacement unit instead if I can. Ah the free toro....I tore this apart to discover someone rebuilt it and stripped two head bolts so it has no compression, expalains why id doesn't run well or at all when its cold. Napa did not have the 5/16 18 helicoil kit so I need to pick one up here in town on my way home tonight. Once I have compression it shoud run......SHOULD..... carry on. Anyoen have a head torque on an 8hp tecumseah?

quote:
Ah the free toro....I tore this apart to discover someone rebuilt it and stripped two head bolts so it has no compression, expalains why id doesn't run well or at all when its cold. Napa did not have the 5/16 18 helicoil kit so I need to pick one up here in town on my way home tonight. Once I have compression it shoud run......SHOULD..... carry on. Anyoen have a head torque on an 8hp tecumseah?
200 inch pounds.

If it was the first storm we had with that heavy wet snow you were not the only one having a bad day. I was swearing we were moving to North Carolina.

By the way, I can't believe someone else didn't chime in with the age-old adage that: A bad day of tractors is still better than a good day at work! (unless of course you work in the agriculture sector)

quote:
blt thats only 16.6 ft/lbs....doesnt seem like nearly enough....
Dave book page 91, PDF page 95. http://www.cpdonline.com/692509.pdf It is enough :p:p

Dave, Thats why we moved to NC, Hate to rub it in but it will be in the 60's today. The bad thing is unless your retired theres no work here for any one.

Blt I wanst doubting your info, I am surprised its such a small torque spec. Samson, I love the seasons and the snow just not when my machines fail :)

quote:
Ismail - 3314 will push a bunch of snow but what we had and wet was jsut too much. My budy with his dump truck plow truck had trouble pushing this stuff around.
We had all wet also, I have to say that my 7116 will push as well as my pickup would when I had a plow. Not near as much but as well. Anyway, hope you get things up and running!

200 is not that little. The 3-5 horse briggs engines torqure somewhere around 165 in-lb, and the cast-iron Briggs torque at only 190 inch pounds. Kohlers torque a bit higher because they use 3/8 bolts rather than 5/16.

BLT thanks for teh book pdf - it sure will be handy. Chris, I agree its not a small number for tractors but for auto engine heads flywheels, ball joints etc it is. The 5008 is all back together waiting for my head gasket for the toro and still no luck getting the augers off the ariens.... cool

• 3 weeks later...
Update - the 5008 threw some serious snow this weekend we had 10" plus of medium to light stuff. 3314 pushed plenty, broke the new pathfinder plow by accident need to get a new pivot lock pin....oops. picking up a used Ariens 24" parts blower and im selling the toro now taht its running. happy new year all.

I didnt read all the posts but the OP was a riot :) Sorry it was a rough day for you but I have so been there :P As for the 3314 not pushing 10" of snow, do you have wheel weights and chains? My 2210 plowed 18" of snow no problem. Well if you count two strokes each pass no problem lol.

Mortation - I have chains but no weights I really could use some. Was thinking of a set of concrete weights maybe work on that this weekend.... Here is my thought for wheel weights: Take off a wheel and set it on its side. Bolt with all thread thru the wheel and then thru a 1/2" piece of round plywood leaving 3 inches of thread above the plywood disk The plywood will have a center hole cut out and a piece of shipping tubing inserted into it for the axle tube around the outside I would use a piece of sonotube as a form. Glue and seal the sonotube and inner tube to the cardboard Fill the form with concrete let cure Remove from wheel and strip form material leaving the bolts and plywood Repeat for the second side. Update: Sold the Toro now that it runs.

• 1 year later...
reading some old posts here, i laughed so hard i about cried. That is a terrible day no doubt, hopefully you fair better this winter. Thanks for sharing thought, i think we all have been there and definitely appreciated the humor in your writing.