Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

pulling head AC310 K241

sammiefish

I want to remove the head to clean and inspect the top end of my K241. I can access all but one of the head bolts, the last is covered by the shroud. Do you think I can move the shroud to access the last bolt and remove and clean the head without removing the engine? Seems like I should be able to remove or loosen shroud bolts and push it out of the way...???8

I have worked on both the 12 and 14Hp Kohlers and only had to remove the small section of sheetmetal on top. I did not have to remove the large shroud on either to remove the head. Since the 10Hp head will fit both of these other engines(I currently have a 10 Hp head on my 14Hp engine), I would assume the 10Hp head would come off in the same way.

thanks for the tip!! i guess ill pick up a gasket and maybe a plastic scraper on my way home!! Would you loctite the head bolts when re-torquing?

Sammy, wire brush the bolts, use a tap to clean the block threads, put a small amount of oil on the bolt threads, re-assemble and torque to specs.. (follow Kohler procedure). and life is good...:) Dan

Chris A flexible stainless steel scraper about one inch wide is what you need. Be careful when cleaning piston crown but you will need a metal one to get gasket material off the cylinder block surface. A small rotary wire brush in a drill chuck or die grinder is a good option for cleaning the head surfaces. Good luck and have fun with your project.sm01