Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Powermax/720 Final Drive Issue

npalen

Got on the tractor the other day and the right wheel wouldn't move just as if the tire was frozen to the ground. Finally got it to "break loose" but now it will occasionally lock up. Have to nudge it a little in reverse to get it loose again. Checked the lube in the final drive and is OK. Fluid in hydro/rear end is okay. Jacked up the wheel and rotated it and shook it for play. Both checks seemed okay and gear noise was same as on the other wheel when rotating by hand. I did notice the lube was a milky color as if it had some water in it and actually ran out of the plug hole when removing the plug to check. Suppose some water could have gotten in the final drive and iced up? Didn't notice this until the weather got cold. Thanks for any help. Nelson

Nelson, if the fluid is milky color, it definately has water in it. Get it drained out good and refill. Check your manual for weight of oil and type. Good luck.........

Is there a drain plug on the case? What else could possibly cause the wheel to lock up? I wondered if a bearing had gone out and some debris was getting caught between the gears in the final drive? Any suggestions?

Jim--I'll have to answer that one with a yes/no. The first time I noticed it the tractor had been setting outside in 10 degree weather for several days. I then parked it in the heated garage overnight and moved snow the next day in cold weather. It is possible (and I hope) there was still some ice in the lube that caused the glitch. Time will tell. I've had it in the garage for a couple days now and should be thawed if there was little ice in the final drive. Need to get that oil changed. Nelson

You stated that you removed the fill plug and gunk ran out of the final drive and that it appeared to not have any noise or play. Drain the oil and see if it contains lots of metal fines or slivers of metal possibly indicating harsh gear wear from a bad bearing. There is also a risk of damage that could have occurred inside the rear end during icy conditions and harsh snow removal use. You'll need the drain the rear end and inspect the oil for the same debris and pull the seat off to remove the top cover to inspect the rear end gears. Bad news is best to be found now before it contaminates anything else like the hydrostat.

• 2 weeks later...
Naw, I just know where they are. Never open 'em. LOL I think it's just pullin' the plugs with the allen screw loose on top of the trans, then cranking it to get the air out. You don't think I'm gonna open the book do ya? :O;)

If memory serves me right I think it is the right hand allen plug as you sit on the tractor. Take the spark plugs out & keep filling. I turn the hydro backwards & keep adding fluid. This will fill the filter from the back side. When you feel you have a quart backfed thru turn it over with sparkplugs removed. Have the tractor jacked up so you can tell when the wheels start turning & hydraulics work. When everything turns you can fire it up at a slow speed. Be sure to top off the fluid. Caution!! If you just try to start it dry you will be rebuilding the hydro. Have seen it happen & it gets spendy. I usually do this with the engine out & use a small re-verseable variable electric drill & turn it real slow. When the hydro takes prime the drill will start laboring. Have never had a problem doing it that way. Stan