Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
merlinct7

Snowblower Lift Rod

merlinct7
When I got my 17GTH-L I assumed that the attachments I have for my 7112 (with hydro lift) would easily fit. Not so. When I moved my snowblower from the 7112, I found that the lift rod (which was never modified) was 2" too short to fit the GTH. I reversed the guide to get some extra length and got it to fit, but the rod is still too short to permit the blower to drop below horizontal. It works but it's tough to get a clean driveway. I'm very confused. There was plenty of length on the 7112, and the two tractors are supposed to be dimensionally identical. What could cause the 2" difference? I guess I could weld a section in to extend the rod, but am I missing something obvious? I don't think there's much if any adjustment available here to allow the lift lever more forward movement, as if I'm not mistaken the lever is keyed to the rockshaft. Another thing. My old belt, while a little stretched out, was OK on the 7112, but not on the GTH. Fell right off, thus a new belt ($72 from Simplicity!). I guess it was due to be replaced, but it does seem that there are dimensional differences not reflected in the specs. Any thoughts?

sammiefish
go to the tractor store and buy a belt that is the length you need... probably $15... many will tell you that a Simplicity belt will wear better, they may be right, but a kevlar belt should be a pretty good alternative if cost is a factor.

Chris727
Please post pictures, the tractor frame length and attachment points are identical, it sounds like something may be installed backwards or something simple. As for belts, any 100" belt will be expensive. Did you try pricing it at Jacks, some small dealers will mark prices up above factory list.

UCD
By the time you have bought 2 or 3 aftermarket belts and have them break in a few hours The Simplicity belt will still be going and will look a lot cheaper than the aftermarkets. I have blown snow for over 35 years 25 years with a 7790 with the belt set up below and have only used 3 or four Simplicity belts And at least one of those I ruined because of a missed adjusted pulley that was my fault. The average belt lasting 8 - 10 years and over 5000 hours of blowing snow. Many 8 hour days and a few 12 hour days. Even the Kevlar belts are not made to run on the back side of the belt like a simplicty belt is. The first bend around idler pully G (the belt runs counter clockwise) is a 90° bend on the back side of the belt. The second bend around idler pulley F is 20° to 30° on the back side of the belt. The aftermarkets are just not designed to do that. You can do what you want but my suggestion is listen to the voices of experence. (not just mine) It is a lot cheaper in the long run.

PhanDad
I agree with Chris, the tractors should be identical, my GTHL (re-powered with a Briggs 16HP) and 7117 are. Two thoughts. First, is your lift rod designed for the 7100 series tractors? Here's a pic of the 3 large frame lift rods:

The FDT rod is in the front; the 700 series in the middle, and the 7100 series in the back. Second, I wonder if very early 7100 series tractors didn't have the rubber drive shaft couplings and therefore the wheelbase was 48" like the 700 series (vs 50" for the GTHL)?

UCD
Bill you forgot one. The lift rod for the 7790 it had la wider ofset to clear the fuel filter bu was the same overall length. 7100 series 7790/920 lift rod

FDT lift rod

cwm1276
Hoping not to high jack the thread, but would someone have measurements of that "B" in Maynard's post? I suspect my decal is long or the paint is gone. I would be awesome if could be replaced or at least a measurement from the stop (or somewhere) to each side of the green zone.

merlinct7
Thanks for the responses! My lift rod is 30 1/4" long overall. I did have to reverse the rod (putting the spring to the rear) to clear the KT17 twin, but that wouldn't change the length. I also reversed the guide to gain a little more pivot to pivot length. I've checked to make sure that the position of the lift lever in the forward position is the same on both tractors (it is). It almost seems like Wilm169 might be right, but then why would the belt fit and the lift rod not? Thanks to the members who've indicated they may have longer lift rods in their stashes. The 7790 rod that Maynard shows looks like it would fill the bill and then some, plus the "diesel bend" would clear the KT17. I'll look into Maynard's cone clutch idler adjustment suggestion. That could be a possibility, as the 17GTH-L has never been used to blow snow in the past, and maybe the mower belt has stretched and the PO adjusted the cone clutch rather than replace the belt. It does seem that, because the 7112 rod does not clear the KT17 in its original (spring forward) position, that there must be a different rod for the 17GTH-L. The 7112 has been in my family since new in 1984, so I know the lift rod is original and unmodified.

Ronald Hribar
I have had a 7117,7116, and the GTH everything fit from one tractor to the next. Front blade, snowblower, mower deck, tiller, aerator, and vacuum system. The lift rod was only a problem when it caught in the Kohler twin shroud. I suspect you have given it plenty of room not to do so, Anything else but a Simplicity belt is a waste of time installing. Keep belt tight. keep pulleies aligned. Both on hitch and center PTO and keep everything but snow in blower and they last a long time

UCD
The flat Idler pulley G has to be in the lower tab for the blower. The top tab is for the mower. The 35" overall length of the lift rod is for all the 7100, GTH-L and Sovereign tractors. The 7790 is a 7100 series tractor with a couple frame and hood mod's for the Lombardini Diesel. The 7100, GTH-L and Sovereign series tractors from 1980 on all used the same blower belt# 1666798 length 147.1" type HA. The 1979/80 7100 series used a belt# 1666324 length 69.3" type HA. The lift rod should be the same length for all post 1980 7100, GTH-L and Sovereign series tractors. If yours is shorter it might have been meant for a 7000 and lower series tractor.

merlinct7
Could be, Maynard. The blower was bought new at the same time as the 7112, and I've used the same lift rod on that tractor with no problem since my dad bought it. Maybe the dealer provided a 7000 rod that barely fit. The idler pulley, by the way, is in the correct lower position. Haven't had a chance yet to check the tensioner adjustment, so maybe it's a combination of a short rod and the tension adjustment. Just a note: I've always (except once) used Simplicity belts on all my equipment. The one time I tried a substitute in a pinch the belt went away in very short order. I'd expect the kevlar belts available today are pretty good, but the one bad experience has kept me on the straight and narrow for a lot of years. Bob

merlinct7
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. You guys are great! Pretty sure I've had the wrong rod for 20+ years! Correct longer rod is (almost) on hand, so I expect this will be resolved shortly.