Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
lilbucksht

Belt

lilbucksht
Can anyone recommend a good belt for my 169033 36" snowthrower? Its for 7000 series with a Briggs 10hp. I dont like using factory belts because there too expensive. The belt that came with the thrower is old and not legible since it rides on the writing, but it measured 66". It was slipping,so I bought a Gates 65" belt and it was too tight and rolled right off the auger sheave (or pulley) when engaging manual pto, even when engaged slowly. So I ordered the Gates 66" but I have to wait till morning. So I thought I would consult with the experts before I thread another belt that wont work! wah

UCD
One simplicity belt is cheaper than three or four after market belts after they won't stay on and break. Simplicity Belts are cheaper in the long run and don"t have the problems you have already had.

lilbucksht
Well the last time I tried a Simplicity belt it was double the cost and didnt fit. Drive belt 174364, now 2174364. The guy at the counter was totally confused by this but never offered to figure out why they were different. He just sold me some house brand that seems to be working fine.

powerking_one
When Briggs bought Simplicity, the legacy part numbers got converted over to a new numbering system. Most now have a (2)prefix and a (SM) suffix added to the orginal Simplicity PN. For the 174364 example, the new number would be 2174364SM. If the parts counter guy has not figured this out by now, don't walk, but run out the door (with your wallet). Tom (PK).

UCD
I said nothing about your mental ability just the truth about marketing You asked for a belt recommendation. I recommended the best belt "Simplicity". You already had the belt length. You stated that Simplicity/OEM belts were to expensive. I explained why Simplicity belts were cheaper in the long run. You complained about the counter parts guy. I explained why he steered you to a cheaper belt. A good Simplicity dealer would know about the part# change and how to read his belt book or computer parts program. You bought the Cheap belt which you wanted that was your choice. You stated you would consult with the experts but then argue with the advice you are given. Why ask? My expertise 40 + years blowing snow with Simplicity tractors. The help and advice you have recieved on this site is more than worth the $10.00 you paid for membership. For what it is worth. Belt # 2174224 Length 66.1" Type HA This belt might also have a SM suffix.