Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
timflury

26" Revitalizer

timflury
I have a lead on a revitalizer for my Serf 525. My question is,,,, What is the difference between the 1600342 and the older 990629 models? I look at the "What Fits" guide and both of the models will fit my tractor. The seller let me know that the model number tag is missing.

SmilinSam
I dont know what differences are in the model numbers you quote, but I have found that the revitalizers for the 5010 tractors must be a little different than the ones for othertractors with smaller rear tires. I had to space the hitch out on my revitalizer to clear the 20x10 rear tires. Makes me think the hitch arms might be longer or something for revitalizers on these 5010's

Burntime
If you want a toy get it, my lawn guy said use a pull behind core areator...the slashing is no good for the lawn... Opinion only so you know what its worth but I have been told the same thing by 2 different lawn guys...

jfrank1962
quote:
Originally posted by 620Doc
What does a "revitalizer" do? Is it a dethatcher?
Here are some pics of my father playing with my revitalizer. Maybe this will help

TomSchmit
This process needs to be done in the spring, when grass is growing rapidly, so that it fills in any bare ground areas. I always overseed with good turfgrass seed after running the renovator! Tom

timflury
Well, I pulled up the manuals from both models I had mentioned and the only differences that I found were the belt part numbers(108248 v. 174364) and the lift rod numbers (170447 v. 176202). Other than that, the machines are pretty much the same. I can have my local dealer look up the belt part numbers and see what the difference in them is.

quote:
Originally posted by jfrank1962
quote:
Originally posted by 620Doc
What does a "revitalizer" do? Is it a dethatcher?
Here are some pics of my father playing with my revitalizer. Maybe this will help
[img]/club2/attach/jfrank1962/rev01.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/jfrank1962/rev02.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/jfrank1962/rev04.JPG[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/jfrank1962/rev03.JPG[/img]

So what did the lawn look like a month late???

timflury
Thank you for your inputs!! Here's my opinion on the revitalizer in general. Before there were mulching mowers, the leftover clippings from year to year needed to be "combed" out of the lawn, exposing the soil and allowing space for new grass to grow. (tomschmit) I am mowing the lawn with the tractor, and now my push mower is used only when the tractor is "laid up" for restoration and upgrades. I have a 1/4 acre lot. I am also clearing my driveway with my snowblower attachment while my little Yard Machines 21"er sits peacefully in the garage in case a problem arises with the tractor. I have a 33' long driveway. As I had mentioned in the past, the tractor is a fun hobby. It takes up less space than a classic car, and is a lot cheaper in parts than a car or a classic motorcycle. And I also have the moral support of my wife. I had absolutely no idea there was a power thatcher/revitalizer available for any Simplicity tractor until I joined this forum. I am interested in collecting the various attachments for my little tractor and restoring them to working use. I have yet to get a reply from the CL seller with more pictures. I also have a lead on ANOTHER revitalizer through a coworker that has a small collection of some different model tractors. Sooner or later, I would be in the market for a turbo vac and the leaf collection system, but I am in no hurry. On a side note, he had mentioned to me that he has an unusual rider mower that he thinks was purchased from the old Gamble's department store chain.