Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Push Button Help Please, Update

Boney

I went to start my 725 today and nothing happend. I checked the battery and it seems good, lights go on just fine. Does anyone know how to check if the push button starter is working ok ? Thank you for any help.

use a test light on the terminals on the back switch, one is constant power, the other will lite up when u hit the button. or you can see if you have power going to the starter by testing that too. check to see what wire is for starting the machine,if everything lites when u hit the start buton you should have juice to the starter. check that the starter bolts are clean free of oil and dirt and tight. try tapping the starter with a hammer it may be stuck its 25 deg in boston

If it wont turn when pushing the starter button, get a heavy wire with ends bared or with test clamps on them, or a battery cable, or a jumper cable( if theres room to get the the back of the button switch) and jump from the hot connection to the other side. If the engine turns then the button switch is bad. If it doesnt, then your problem is elswhere.

I would use a multimeter instead of a test light and check continuity in the button and also to check voltage to and from the button ..bad grounds corroded connections can reduce the voltage and not allow the proper power to get to the right places . a test light is a quick test tool and will not show if its only 8 volts,12 volts 6 volt ect ect.. only the multimeter will be able to tell you if you have a true 12 to 14v going to your starter.

Thank you all for the great information. I tried putting as wire across the starter button and got small amount of sparks so I stopped that. I took off the starter button and used a continuity tester. I got a beep when the button was pushed and no beep when button was not pushed. I would like to test the key switch. Can anyone explain to me how I can test the key switch to see if it is working ? Thank you all for the great help.

The key switch should be a single terminal switch that grounds out the magneto(stops engine)when turned to the off position. It does nothing to aid in starting the engine. To test it, remove single wire and then connect continuity meter, one wire to key terminal and the other to the ground (-) post on battery. With key in 'off' position, you should get a beep and the 'on' position will produce nothing. That is a good switch.

What was the voltage to the button? then after the button, continuity says yes there is a connection but if it is burn/corroded you may only get some of the required voltage. Questions you should find the answers to for diagnostics. 1.What is the voltage to the switch? 2.What is the voltage out of the switch? 3.What is the voltage to the start button? 4.What is the voltage after /or out of the start button when pushed? 5.What is the voltage on the starter Positive lug? 6.What is the voltage using the starter for ground? When all of these questions are answered then you know if full power is to the starter. If any are inconsistent then the wire/cable between the two voltage points are a cause of open or short. corrections can be easily done with this information. Also check the battery lugs hold one test plug to the battery lug and the other to the opposite lug checking the cable and the lug for consistent voltage, do this on both sides POS + and NEG - I cant tell you how many times I have found a bad connection as the root of a problem.

I removed the wiring, starter button and key switch. Cleaned them all and put it all back together. Pushed the button and it started. I do not know what was wrong but the important thing is that it works. Thank you all for the great and fast info.