Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jlasater

Block induction heater for cold weather?

jlasater
My shop currently isn't heated or insulated so the tractor is essentially at ambient temperature. I'm going to switch over to 5W-30 oil for the cold season but wondered if one of these would be smart as well: http://www.amazon.com/Kats-1153-Handi-Heat-Magnetic-Heater/dp/B000BOABS6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1260662740&sr=8-1 I'd plug it in an hour before firing up the tractor with it stuck to the front of the block. Is this worth doing? We occasionally get down to -15deg F here, but mostly around 0deg or so during snow season. I have an AC 716H.

UCD
I used a 250 watt heat lamp with a clamp on reflector for my 7790 diesel. Aluminum block and oil pan the magnet would not work and no room under pan for glue on heater. Plugged in ½ hour before starting and it always started on 2nd or 3rd time over even at -30°. Used Mobil one 0w - 40 oil for diesel

BLT
Unless the the magnetic device can get 100% contact of the object you plan to heat, the risk of burning out the heater element is very high, been there, done that, no warranty.8C8C

MPH
The glue on magnetic hearter work great on the cast iron Briggs. Onhly drawback is you need to raise/remove the engine to install. I never put a tractor back together without one on it, just in case, even though my winter used tractors sit in a warm shop Now.

jlasater
I went back and found the dimensions and that one definitely won't work (something like 8X7X0 inches or somesuch). JC Whitney has a much smaller one, 4X3X2" or so.

D-17_Dave
The heat lamp Maynard described is the most simplistic of the choices mentioned and probably the cheapest. This and a blanket over the tractor to help keep the heat created close in around the engine should do you a great job. I'd also recommend a Synthetic blend oil for such temp. ranges as you have. Marty did a very good severe cold weather comparison on oils. You should look it up and see what a huge difference it could make.

crankyyankee
Yes for the heat lamp.. I left my 7790 diesel outside and covered, went to start yesterday it was about 25 degrees and windy.. no start.. i covered her back up and put an electric heater under tractor and watched while working in barn for about one hour..(cover didnt melt).. then started her up.. i should have known better than to keep her outside.. So i played musical tractors and shes stored in barn next to my heater.. becareful doing what i did .. Fried tractors dont taste good.. If i get crafty i will install a cable heater under oil pan like my truck has.. a heater they wrap around refrigeration compressors might work , they have a big metal hose clamp so you can mount them.. It should clamp around oil pan.. im gonna try it out..

UCD
My 7790 sit in an unheated garage. I took the heat lamp and clamped it to the open hood with the heat directed to the heads and intake manifold. The light was plugged into an outlet with a switch inside of the house ½ hr before I was going to use it I turned on the switch. Engine started on 2nd or 3rd time over and this was without the manifold heater as it didn't work. Clamp Reflector Light SKU# 59320057 $8.99, heatlamp SKU 350447799 $4.29 At Tractor Supply. [img]http://www.tractorsupply.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/150/3224491.jpg[/img][img]http://www.tractorsupply.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/150/3200552.jpg[/img]