Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

5w-30w synthetic for a 6216 1985 ok?

AC_B-1Novice

I went to start my 6216 the other day and almost thought it was not going to start, too cold. Only about 30 out. So I am going to change the oil and put it in my shop where I can keep it a little warmer than in the barn. I need it for snow blowing. My question: What oil should I put in it and how much does it hold? Thanks in advance because I'm going to go to town very soon to get oil. larry

It all depends on whether you store it warm or cold. If the storage temperature is above 40 deg f, you should be good with SAE 30. If below use 5W30 to 0 deg F. Synthetic 5W30 and 10W30 are good to -20 Deg f thru 100 Deg F. I am assuming that this is a Briggs flat head opposed twin as this is where I obtained the information. They also noted that in higher ambient temperatures using 5W30 oil, you could see noticeable oil consumption. Sump fill for this engine is 48 oz and if it has an oil filter, an additional 8 oz. This information is in Briggs OM book 274796 available for download from Briggs & Stratton.

Thanks Bob.. I bought both kinds so I would have on hand what I needed. Here is a picture of the engine. It has two plugs. The picture was taken when I bought it, before I cleaned it up. larry

The 5w-30 synthetic will be fine year around. The stuff about 5w-30 being bad at warm temps relates to dino oils-----not a good synthetic. If you want both better starting and better lube protection at warm temps, use Mobil 1 0w-40.