Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
rpickle

Getting a "new" 3212 w/hyd lift FREE

rpickle
Going to drive about 140 miles south to pick this up. The gentleman that owns it ran into engine trouble, had it bored and now can't find a piston for it. I called him and wondered what he wanted for it and he said come and get it. He just doesn't want me to turn it into scrap. I don't have pics yet, but he says it is in good shape. Has the 48" deck and the hydr. lift! X-mas will be a bit early for me, aye! I think it is a 3212, the owner stated that it is a 1970. I'll post pics as soon as I get a chance. Will a 16hp B&S (single cyl.) fit? Rick

HubbardRA
I had a friend who bored a 12 out to a 16 piston. I think he had to also install a 16 crank to have counterbalance weights that matched the additional weight of the heavier piston. He may have just done some grinding on the piston to make it lighter. Been nearly 20 years, memory is a little bit foggy on that one. Either way, the engine needs to be balanced or it will have a significant vibration.

Chris727
I don't think the crankshaft interchange is necessary. If I recall, the 12hp uses the same crank as the 14hp, which is the same bore as a 16. I think the cylinder head is what makes the power difference between the 14 and 16.

HubbardRA
Chris, I know that on the Kohler engines the 12,14,and 16Hp cranks are interchangeable, but the 12 Hp piston is lighter. A 12 Hp crank for one of those has part of the counterbalance weights ground off to match the lighter piston. I don't really know what B/S does in those. Just because the parts will interchange, does not mean that they will work correctly (be in balance). I was just saying what "could" happen if the pistons are different weights. Weighing the two pistons could tell you immediately.

Chris727
Rod, I'm not trying to argue with the theory, its true the pistons are two different sizes. In the case of the Briggs 12hp cast iron and 14 hp cast iron engines, according to the factory Briggs parts books, each uses the same identical part # crankshaft.

rpickle
Got her home this afternoon. I'm very pleased. Was in a rush to get it shoe-horned into the shed, so did not snap any pics. It really is better than I had hoped. He even had the original owners manual! Was a 7 hour round trip. Will need double toothpicks tonight at work...

Dark
The 12hp crank and piston assembly are a balanced set. Kohler uses the same identical piston in their 16hp [valves in block] and 18hp OHV engines. Although their connecting rods are made of different material, they weigh the same. Therefore, the cranks are balanced the same. The wrist pin is narrower in the 16hp and 18hp piston, making them the same weight as the 14hp piston and pin. Therefore, the same crankshaft can be used with the 14hp, 16hp and 18hp OHV piston assembly. If both counterweights on your crankshaft aren't machined off flat, then it's a 14 or 16hp crank. If they are machined off, then it's a 12hp crankshaft. And a 12hp crank shouldn't be used with a 14 or 16hp piston assembly. REF:[url]http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/balance.htm[/url]

powerking_one
Cris is correct about the 12 & 14HP cranks being the same (identical PN's). Same PN's mean the counterweight weights must be the same. You can run one of these cranks in the 15 & 16HP engine (which don't have the PTO end/front Synchro-Balancer gear case)but the reverse is not true. The 15 & 16HP cranks don't have the PTO end pilot extended/ machined for the 12 & 14HP PTO oil seal. I just went through this exercise with my brother's 14HP;he bought a used crank out of 16HP and it won't physically work because of the fore mentioned. Tom (PK)