Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
perry

i approve- tire chains

perry
just wanted to let you'all know the bicycle / go-cart chains on the front tires work awesome!.....^
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/cubcab011.jpg[/img]

perry
quote:
Originally posted by sammiefish
I guess I missed this.... what bicycle / go cart chains??? is this helping to steer better? Im having a bit of this trouble as well
YES, makes it steer much better. tryed it yesterday out in the icy gravel driveway. it turned on a dime ^. not sure if they would leave marks on payment.

sammiefish
quote:
Originally posted by perry
YES, makes it steer much better. tryed it yesterday out in the icy gravel driveway. it turned on a dime ^. not sure if they would leave marks on payment.
im glad to have a gravel drive... no marks here...:D never thought a bicycle would need chains... OO

Cvans
I have to agree with you again. I tried a length of regular tire chain around the tire but it wanted to roll off when turning. I'll bet the bike chain would work a lot better. Did you measure the length of chain before you installed them? Good idea, Chris

perry
quote:
Originally posted by Kent
You could likely find regular cross-link chains for snowblowers in that size...
i have been running snowblower chains for a few years now. the sprocket chain steers much better and is a way smoother ride.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/cubcab010.jpg[/img]

Cvans
Using regular chain does not work when used the way Perry is. I made mine shorter and let the air out of the tires (still a tight fit)and installed them. Refilled the tires with air (now a very tight fit) and in a short time they rolled of of the tire. I think Perry has hit on the answer to this problem with the chain he is using. I would think that #60 or #80 double would work equally well. Thanks for the idea Perry! Chris

Brettw
Great idea! However, if you pull the cabs off the tractors, and drive 'em like roller skates, you'll get done twice as fast. Just a thought..........:D