Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
sammiefish

916 vs 917 Kohler K vs KT

sammiefish
does anyone know if the bolt up specs were the same for the K vs KT engines found on the 900 series? (were the drive shafts the same etc?) Can anyone comment on the longevity of the KT's vs the K?

osenga
The bolt pattern both are the same . I had to shim my drive shaft when I put the k in it . In my eye I would rather use a k since I mow on slopes and the kt or the twins just don't hold up I don't think they get enough oil flow that is just my option to it

Chris727
The single cylinder engine requires a longer driveshaft. If you're looking at a KT-Twin make sure its a series two, they have a much better track record than the earlier ones.

Burntime
I like briggs, but my kt-17 series 2 is humming along, did have to do head gaskets but its a champ that just keeps going with no smoke. Of course I change the oil 2-3 times a year, but a quart and a half is not too spendy...

sammiefish
is the series 2 KT clearly indicated on the labeling of this motor or do you have to read a hidden # somewhere?? how can I tell which one is which thanks