Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

716H deck?

dustin502

Hey guy's, I just picked up an early 716H a couple weeks ago. Overall it's in Fair to good condition, it does smoke a little and The original deck is missing. Will a B-series deck fit? Thanks

The drive pulley on the center spindle for the belt that goes to the PTO is too small. It is probably 4 inches. I just measured the one on my 716H and it measures 5 3/4 outside diameter. You need to change the pulleys to slow down the mower to the proper speed. I am not sure if the center pulley is in the same location so that the specified belt will fit, even when you get the right size pulley. Someone else may be able to answer that question.

Also, the height adjustment T-handles on a FDT deck will likely hit the running boards on a RBT when the deck is lifted all the way up. I have no first-hand experience, but I've heard that happens. The opposite is fine -- an RBT deck on a FDT... I'm running a 700/7000 series deck on my modified B-210 now. I put a smaller center pulley on it to match the smaller PTO pulley on the FDT, otherwise the blades would've turned too slow. Now, with a 16HP and Sundstrand hydro and cone-clutch PTO in it, I just run it at less than full throttle so it doesn't spin too fast. I left it that way so I can swap the deck back and forth between the the 3112 and HB-216. I have Gator blades on that deck, and the vac adapter, so when I want to vac I use that deck.

Why don't you post a pic of the deck you have... I have a 716H that runs a 48" deck that I know is older than the tractor. Might be similar to yours.

The 48" deck will work if you put the right pulley on it and it will clear the running boards just fine. It's the 42" from a b-series will not work unless you remove your running boards altogether.

I put an older B series deck on my 3314, unbloted the "T" adjusters and folded and tied them back cause they hit the RBs. I adjusted the roller height to what I wanted and been mowing with it for the past two years. The pulley looks to be about four inches diameter, so what, it works. Bob J.