Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RUMBLEFISH

Axle Bushings

RUMBLEFISH
I have taken my front axel off the Big Ten. I took out the old brass bushings and went to a local simplicity dealer who mostly works on land scapers stuff. He came out and handed me brass bushings that fit the axle and he said he uses them on the land scapers stuff. They are shorter but I can stack up 3 on bottom and 3 on top for a nice even fit and the whole thing is nice and snug. My question is I dont have to tap them in like the originals they just slide in on the axle. Is this ok or are they suppose to be stuck to the walls of the axle housing. And they cost me 9 bucks for the 12. He said just bring them back if they dont work so I wanted to ask here before I order the originals or can use these. Thanks

steve-wis
If they fit nice and snug with no wobble at all, just slipping in, then you can use loctite to hold them in place. If they are loose at all, I would return them. If you have the old ones, you can measure the outside of them and then buy new ones that will press in from any industrial supply place. Out fleet farm store even sells standard size bronze bushings. Steve

rm
measure the inside diameter on the axle, and the outside on the spindle. 3/4 to 1 in long bearing brass oil bearing. i got mine from south shore bearing in quincy ma 617 471 7800 they will probably have in stock. to install use a long bolt and nut with washers. tighten them by hand with a wrench, till they are in axle. its easy you might have to file down the burrs on spindle from the bolt