Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
pungo

Axle spinning inside hub

pungo
From what I have learned here the B-Series and Simplicity variants use two small nylon? parts that are torqued to 20 pounds with pressure from the two outside lugs on the right rear hub. Mine are kinda crummy and it is hard to tell if I am torquing them right. My question is, how easy is it to spin the axle and stop pulling? I was pushing vegetation off my garden and noticed it would stop with the axle still turning. Now I know this thing isn't a bulldozer but what should I expect? Are these nylon bushings still available? Thanks!

ZippoVarga
You increase the torque to the lugs to increase traction/resistence to the axle. There is the Axle and the Axle Tube. The Axle Tube is driving the gears in the differential that is just behind the right wheel and the Axle is driven through the torque applied to the lugs. There is a way to positively lock the differential if the slipping is something you want to eliminate. Just be aware that with a positively locked differential, the tractor will want to continue going strait if you try to turn sharply and you will also wear out your front tires a lot faster. To check your nylon bushings, remove the wheel, then the collar that is holding the hub to the axle. There are two set screws holding the collar on either with square head or allen head screws (5/32"). When you remove the collar, clean the exposed axle with cleaning solvent and gently file the two marks where the set screws made contact with the axle. This will do two things......save your bushings inside the outer hub and allow the hub to come off easily. Once the hub is off, turn in the two lugs in order to push the old nylon bushings out. If they are at least 1/4 inch thick, put them back in and re-assemble then just torque them tighter for less differential slip. If they are fried.....contact your local tool and die supplier to see if they can locate the nylon rod that you will need to make the replacements. A set that I made I just cut to 3/8ths of an inch so I would have plenty of thread engagement to the lugs. Good Luck!!!

D-17_Dave
If both tires stop pulling and the axle still spins then you have lost a gear in the differential most likely. Sounds as if the nylon plugs are tight enough to force one tire to pull until the plugs can no longer pull the entire load. One tire should spin either way. The nylon plugs should limit the one wheel spin issue and make both wheels pull together. Too tight and you'll have trouble steering the tractor in slick conditions as both wheel locked together will push the front end straight.

ZippoVarga
The first thing to look for if you have no movement of the wheels but the axle is spinning is the hub that the wheel is attached to. The gear on this hub is held in place by 12 roll pins...2 per hole, and they are designed to be the weak link to quell a more costly break down. If you pull the hub off and there is no gear on the back side of it then you have sheared these roll pins and left the gear in the differential housing.

pungo
Zippo, Dave, this is good information. This should be saved as a Tech sticky. I was only watching one side but it is doubtful those tires were slipping.Has me alittle worried but I still think it is them nylon parts. I REALLY appreciate the time and effort in your replies. Thanks!

ZippoVarga
You bet Phil. I hope you get it figured out soon. Maynards diagrams make easy references when troubleshooting the "outside the tranny" problems. Let us know how you come out and hopefully you won't have to break the tranny apart for your fix!!

pungo
Well,I "properly" torqued the bolts and there is no more slipping,the ags dug a hole in my yard when I tested pushing against an unmovable object. Didn't notice any hard steering from overtightening them so maybe I'm ok.