Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SNOW??? IN NC?????

D-17_Dave

Looks like this winter weather for the east coast is starting right here around my house. They are calling for a significant amount today through tom. Some places on the east coast can see 2 feet. Looks like I'll get a chance to try out the broom in the snow after all. Thing is I started cleaning and rearranging the shop a couple of days ago then this forcast came in. The shop is a wreck, so I have my work cut out today getting things ready for loss of power, heavy snow, bad roads, bad drivers, tractor time, fire dept. and whatever else may come along. I'll do my best to get pics. This is a once in a decade event around here.

They are now calling for 8-12 inches here in VA. This could end up being a record snow storm for December. Same as Dave, I have to spend the day getting ready for it.

Dave, if you wouldn't mind setting up a tripod, I think we'd all like to see video of the Sweepster in action. Likewise John, I'd like to see your V-plow in action. And Rod, I'd get a kick out of a video of you slipping on the ice and flying arse over tea kettle into some snow (as long as you are all right afterwards). :D And Maynard, I think it's about time to see some action shots of your pope-mobile. The still pics are nice, but let's see some video!

I Hope It snows for you guys .But don't forget how much the weatherman likes to exaggerate . When they say 3 To 6 here it usually means maybe 3"

Here in Mooresville ,NC we have a good ground covering 2" expecting maybe 4" to 6", possibly more. We are the exit 36 area about 5 miles west on the eastern side of Lake Norman. Reports I have is that it will accumalate quite rapidly as you head west toward the mountains. My cousin has house in Blowing Rock and they are expecting a foot or more. We were in the mountains yesterday around Valle Cruis,Boone and Blowing Rock and it was clear ,sunny and in the 40's. Might get to use the 3314 and push some snow

Yeah Lawboy, if you are out there,we may have a good one here too. Then again, looks like the mess here in Chatham County is turning into ice. Hope the power doesn't go out, I forgot propane but have plenty of everything else.:(

Only a couple inches of snow here in Morristown, TN but have had two power outages so far this evening. Both of short duration but a PITA anyway. Missed the end of a good movie. :(

Hey John , Thanksgiving day we were in the Foscoe community .Went to Thad Taylor 's Big Ridge Tree Farm. Got our trees and took a ride on his Massey 35 with chains on to an old cabin way back in the woods. We pulled a trailer for the family to ride on . What a fun day in the hills. From his farm the ridge is about 3800 feet and you can see into Tenn on clear day.

Phil what did you all end up with? Enough to use that blade? We got about 4-6" here in Burlington...it's about 11:00 Saturday now and it has been a light dusting going on again this morning. I hate that the 725 ain't up and ready with a blade or something on it, today would be fun here. I've been out in the truck and had a little fun this morning but no tractor fun for me today. C

14+ inches of dry snow here in Fredericksburg, VA. I will try to get some pictures a little later today. Wish I had a blower mounted, I could have fun in this dry stuff. The EF1D is all I have to use in this one. Snow drifts 3 feet deep between the tractor hut and the driveway. Hopefully I will be ready for the next one.B):D

West of Mooresville we got a little over 3" . Used the 3314 with a rear blade to clear a neighbors drive way and about 500 feet of the road in front of our house . Was little icy and packed wet snow.

Here are a few pictures from Fredericksburg, VA. We got more snow in the one storm than the previous record for the entire month of December. My Carport and the snowy cars.

A look down the street. Notice the raised flower bed just behind the milk can. It is 2 ft high and 4 foot wide. Now it just blends in with the rest of the front yard because of the drifting.

Here is a picture of the drift on my deck, looking out from the enclosed back porch. That is a 16 inch cinderblock sitting on end. The drift is over 3 ft deep.

Here is a picture of my garage. Notice the depth of the snow on the corner. A lot has blown off in the middle of the roof.

Dang Rod, can't believe you didn't get your blower on to play with, How long you had it now WAITTing for snow? Looks like you better move south Roy.:D To help you all out, I had -50 this morning.

Marty, My day has been very unlucky. Since I didn't have any of the AC tractors set up for snow, I took the EF1 out by the driveway and parked it before the storm. You can see it in the first picture I posted. Well, guess what, it would not start today after the snow. No power going to anything. I put jumper cables from my truck to the battery, still no power. Turning on the key would not even activate the gas gauge. Snow was still falling, and wind blowing, so I decided to wait till the snow stopped to work on it, maybe tomorrow. That is the type of luck I have had lately.:( Since I covered the screened in parts of my new back porch with plastic, I did fire up a couple electric heaters and sit out there to watch the snow fall. I ate breakfast lunch and dinner on the porch watching the snow fall.:D The glass on the ends of the porch made it nice to watch the birds get the food we put out for them. Since Randy is home for semester break from college, I did tell him that our next project is to get the mower deck and vacuum off the AC716H and get the snowblower installed. I want that machine parked under the carport waiting when the next snow is predicted. I could have had lots of fun in this moderately dry snow.

Would have been just another day on this part of town, 'course Erik's running around like a crazed bull that more of your stuff didn't hit his driveway.:D:D

These shots were from my mom's as I cleaned her drive off. Snow is heavy and wet now since the temps came up some. Had between 4" to 8" depending on the wind and 1/2" of ice on top. 620 did a fine job with the blade. The snow was much too heavy for the sweepster, I could have blown most of it since I did the Fire Dept. also. But I had the blade on so I went with what I had.

It's been a long time since I was home for a snow event here as most of what we get comes in late Jan. and Feb. I had fun today. Burned allmost a full tank of fuel between the station, mom's, and my drive. Hope the rest of you had as much fun with it. It'll most likely be gone by Monday. Rod, sorry to here of your problems. The porch sounds like the place to have been during your home time. I spent most of the afternoon yesturday in the fire truck dealing with the idiots on and off the road.

Got the EF1D running today and spent about 3 hours of seat time. I cleaned three large driveways, and part of the street that had not been plowed. Here are a few pictures:

Next is the pile of snow at the entrance to my driveway that may take weeks to melt.

This is the oops that I did. Mailbox is not supposed to be lying in the snowbank. My wife Becky was watching out the front door when I did it. She held both of her hands up in the air like a football referee to signify a fieldgoal

This last one is me checking out the damage. Only broke the post, but it is already cobbled back together and waiting for tomorrow's mail. I will replace the post later.