Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
captainweezy

Sunstar pics added

captainweezy
I have found a mint sun star 18hp, no power steering comes with a 3 point, planter, deck, moldboard plow, cultivator, and disc. Price is around $1000? I have the money in hand but I am going back and fourth. I have been spending a lot of funds on tractor stuff lately.

wilm169
You did not say it had a loader with it. Simplicity Sunstar - $1100 (Elkhart) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: 2009-12-14, 4:24PM CST Reply to: sale-kz2md-1510133177@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a 18hp Sunstar with a 3-point hitch,cat-0 draw bar,front-mid and rear PTO,48-inch deck that has been overhauled last summer and rear AG. tires in great condition. I will include a front loader (not simplicity brand) , a single row planter with several plates, a cultivator, one bottom plow, single gang disk and a john deer brand chisel drag. I would prefer to sale as complete package. If you know simplicity than you know this is a great offer. Also this is a low hour tractor. You can reach me at 217 737 2029 Thanks •Location: Elkhart PostingID: 1510133177

Cvans
I gave one of these (the Allis version) to my Son this spring. If it is vibrating you have drive line problems as very few people lube both ends of the drive shaft, U-joints. Without power steering you are going to need a lot of room to turn around as the steering is geared way down compared to what your used to. You should have the 2spd. rear end if you plan on doing dirt work with it. Check the PTO clutch to make certain it is working. They make a nice loader tractor. The rest of this tractor is pretty straight forward as I remember. Chris

comet66
quote:
Originally posted by captainweezy
Thanks for posting it so the whole world can see it.
Don't let him know where your favorite fishing hole is. Power steering or not I'd have jumped on it by now.

captainweezy
I have it in my shed. Pics will be soon when I get home from family stuff this weekend. It only has 600 hours! Unfortunately At least one other allis has to go.

captainweezy
Ok here are a few pics but they are not too great of pics. This was actually a 16hp with no power steering or dual brakes. Its a very low hour machine(600 something). No smoke or weird sounds. Everything works accept the lights. Has cat 0 3 point and pto that was put on by the seller. Its a very strait tractor. Very happy with it so far.

captainweezy
Can anybody tell me if the tiller would be the same as the 720,620, 616, powermax cat 0? For not having power steering it sure steers easy!

D-17_Dave
Tiller is different. Also I think you had a choice of pto speeds with the sunstar. As a side note, nothing wrong with the deal you got there but you might consider looking for a sunstar with the options you don't have like PS, 20HP, dual rear speeds and swap the pto and lift over on the higher hp model. Then sell or part out the lesser desired tractor.

Cvans
Nice tractor. If your happy, that's all that matters. I have to ask tho, What's that green and yellow thing in the background of the 4th picture? :D Enjoy your new machine! Chris

captainweezy
Chris, that green wheeled thing your asking about would be my lawnmower! The swapping of the 3 point etc. was what my original plan was. Thanks Dave

comet66
There were 2 different Tillers available for the Sunstar. An engine speed unit and a 2000 RPM unit. With the 3-point hitch the rear PTO is quite likely the 2000 RPM unit. The engine speed PTO requires the Simp. Lift Group. The two systems are mutually exclusive, and cannot be mixed. Nice tractor, looks well cared for!! And has the two of the three options most difficult to come by. The other would be the loader. I'd say great deal!! dOd

comet66
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
As a side note, nothing wrong with the deal you got there but you might consider looking for a sunstar with the options you don't have like PS, 20HP, dual rear speeds and swap the pto and lift over on the higher hp model. Then sell or part out the lesser desired tractor.
Oh...I would also agree with this plan.

captainweezy
The seller also threw in an adapter that will allow sleeve hitch implements to be mounted to the cat 0 3 point and hes checking on a snow plow too. After checking this thing out more thorough, it appears to be a real nice machine. real solid. I will have to be on the lookout for a tiller that will work. That is my number one reason for buying this one. Yes I will be putting a wanted ad up. Thanks for all the reply's and comments keep em coming.

captainweezy
Does anybody have a picture of the front plow for a sunstar that they would be kind enough to post? I am wondering how difficult it would be to put one on from a smaller tractor like my 917.

D-17_Dave
Anything is possible as far as mounting, but there are some things to consider. The Sunstar line of tractors is a lot more tractor than the 700/900 size so there is a good chance to mash the lighter duty blade if something heavy is encountered. Also if you'll notice how low under the front end a blade is mounted. It's always low enough on whatever model tractor so that the tractor always pushes the blade only forward but never down. If you push down it'll dig in for sure. I've seen some home made mounted blades folded under the tractor from too much speed and hitting an object. Just be careful. Saving a few bucks isn't worth getting hurt in this fine hobby.

captainweezy
It's not a matter of saving a few bucks, its a matter of finding the correct blade for sale! I don't mind driving to pick up a tractor blade if I can find one. :p

comet66
I have converted a standard Simp. blade and hitch to use on a Sunstar.

As Dave says this is a lot more tractor and you want to make sure you use a spring trip blade. I see you're looking for a tiller. Do you know yet which one you need? You can confirm which PTO you have by trying to fit the PTO coupling from the mower deck onto the rear PTO shaft. If it fits, you have the engine speed PTO and will need to aquire the Simplicity Lift Group in order to use it. If it does not fit you have the 2000 rpm PTO and will need the tiller to match it and the 3-point.