Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brent_Baumer

My tractor tries to start itself - ghosts???

Brent_Baumer
Hello all. This weekend my 3416H began trying to start by itself. It turns over but hasn't started yet so I don't know if power is getting to the spark plug or not. I have confirmed that the solenoid is good, not stuck, and working properly. I have totally disconnected the ignition switch by pulling off the harness from the back of the switch and it still tries to start. I also moved the hydro lever out of neutral, which usually does not allow me to start the tractor, and it did no good. I assume that safety feature is wired in series with the ignition switch so I didn't figure it would work but tried it anyway. Physical inspection of the wiring for insulation failure turned up nothing where I was able to see. Could I have a problem with the starter/generator or voltage regulator internally that is allowing 12V to get to the starter terminal when it's not supposed to? I have to leave it sit with the battery disconnected for now. Anyone run into this before? Thanks, Brent

Sandy_Lake_Imp
Sounds like the points on the regulator are stuck shut. U may be able to clean them up but always draw a piece of clean paper thru them after the file or sandpaper. Bill

Brent_Baumer
Thanks for the tip Bill. Took the reg. out and inspected all the contacts. The current and voltage contacts looked to be normally closed and in good shape. The cutout contacts were not stuck closed but had quite alot of material that had apparently been transferred from the moving side to the non-moving side, creating a crest on one side and pit on the other. Didn't look like they were actually touching though, but could have gotten knocked loose during removal. Anyway, sanded and cleaned. Re-installed and the "ghost" was gone. I can't wait to see if it comes back after a couple hours of mowing later this week. I thought maybe the tractor liked being used so much it didn't want to quit. It also brought back memories of the "Herbie the Love Bug" movies - wish it hadn't. I didn't really like those films. They weren't very believable - Until now. Thanks again, Brent