Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity_728

Detergent or Non Detergent Oil?

Simplicity_728
I just aquried an all original 1966 6hp briggs vertical shaft. Would non-detergent oil be better for this engine or should i use a detergent oil?

BLT
Detergent oil. Non detergent oil, also known as break-in oil, is, for the most part, yesterday's technology for at least 50 years. And your engine will fall into that category.

timflury
Nick, In addition to what Bob says, I recommend 10w30 in the engine for the winter. We all know how cold it gets up there, and the staight weight oils run like molasses when the temps fall. http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7625 Here's more information.

Simplicity_728
Thanks for the link Tim. Right now i have 10w-30 synthetic blend in the 728. This 6hp is for my Homesteader 6 (very rare I'm guessing). It's too cold to do anything so I'm waiting until spring to run it and change oil. I'm not sure what oil is in the crankcase at the moment nor how it was taken care of and when i get the deck for this tractor it's mainly a trim mower so it won't get used much, that's why i was thinking non-detergent would be better.

xenon172
A detergent oil will reduce the amount of sludge build up in an engine which is a good thing but what really is important is proper maintenance which includes frequent oil changes

goatfarmer
A mechanic told me years ago that non detergent was best used in things that don't get regular oil changes, like compressors, gearboxes, etc.

Cvans
Your mechanic friend knew what he was talking about. Having been a plant engineer for 30 years, we ran into a number of gearboxes that required 30w non-detergent oil. Back in the 60's when detergent oils were finally finding acceptance, we were still running into auto engines that had been run all of their lives on non-detergent oils. You don't even want to clean one of those up to do an overhaul on. There is sludge everwhere. It's like scooping chocolate frosting off of a cake. In those days 80,000 miles without an overhaul was something to be proud of. The same Non-detergent oil will run for years in a gearbox with no problems providing you follow the manufacturers service reccomendations. We had the same results with aircompressors. Chris

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
A mechanic told me years ago that non detergent was best used in things that don't get regular oil changes, like compressors, gearboxes, etc.
The real reason you can get along without detergent oil in things like compressors and gearboxes is that there are no combustion gases (piston ring leakage) getting into the oil.