Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower issues - Must be doing something wrong?

Well my first attempt at using the snowblower was a monumental failure. I have one of the original blowers, the one with three belts. I tightened all the belts, greased all the grease fittings, oiled the chain and went at it. Thing clogged up every time, as soon as I shoved it into the snow it would get plugged up and the auger would stop turning. I would have to turn the thing off clean out the blower test it to make sure it worked then as soon as I shoved it back in the snow same thing. I ended up pulling it off and putting the plow on for now. Snow was about 18" + but that shouldnt be to much should it? Any suggestions?

That style is prone to problems. You would be happier with a single belt unit...or new belts on yours and adjusted... I had 17hp and went thru about 6 or 7 inchs at a fast walk with a 42 inch in some of the wettest stuff last storm...no clogs...

well is it true people i hear talking say go faster in wet snow and slower in the good dry/ fluffy stuff ? I only got about a inch and had the same problem using a 42 blower mid pto 1 belt??

Rusty shoot? Belt stretched? Bearings going? I actually shimmed my pulleys to be in perfect allignment with the blower and use a regular 5 inch pulley vs the large flat idler... Could just be poor alignment. I know taking the time must save plenty of HP because it hit the governer but just kept on throwing!

burntime :) had some great points to check, heres another, i use cooking spray on mine it doesnt clog as easy, if you do clog it with the spray your going to fastsm02 we had 15 inches in quincy dry heavy snow worked great keep smiling, these are old machines, some times they dont work the way you want them to. but they never let you down

I had the same problem with my shaft driven blower a few years back. Without a load the auger turned as it should. Put it under load and it would stop. Of course from the seat I couldn't see it stop, just knew it was jammed up. Turned out to be a sheared key on the drive gear.

Andre, your belts need to be in good shape and you need to run full throttle for these throwers to work decent. The last time I checked, the 2 larger belts were still available thru Simplicity, but the shorter one (to tractor) was not. Simplicity belts do last longer.... If its a part that is worn or broken,I have a complete 3-belt thrower that I would sell you a part off of. Good luck............

Wet, heavy snow is hard to move with a snowthrower. 18" shouldn't be too much, if it's the lighter, fluffy stuff. A blade would do better on the wet stuff.

Thanks for the input all. I will coat the inside with PAM and see if that helps. Definitely no sheared keys. When the auger freezes everything freezes and the belts start to smoke. I did not run WOT so that may be an issue too. After Christmas I will go through it again, swap out the belts, and add a little more grease. I know the smaller one went on it and the belt I swapped it with may have been to big to get the right tension. I dont like how I have to engage/disengage from the front and not from the seat so I may end up just looking for a newer model anyway.