Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wheel spacers

Mike

A while back someone posted about wheel spacers for using lugs with a mid pto using spacers. I think they came from Napa, but i cannot find the post. Any help? thanks, Mike

You should not need spacers if you are using Simplicity wheels or off brand wheels with the correct offset. (back spacing) Wheel spacers are available at just about any parts store. Get a spacer with a 4½" bolt circle x 5 lug pattern in the thickness of your choice. You will also need longer lug bolts.

I am fully aware of all of that, I am building a fishouse frame and need the spacers for that project. I could have sworn they were 20.00 a pair but at napa they want 20.39 apiece.

quote:
wheel spacers for using lugs with a mid pto using spacers.
This is what you specified. You did not say they were for another project. I owned a speed shop and sold custom accessories and speed equipment for years and wheel spacers always sold in pairs in one package/blister pac. http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Wheel-Spacers/?keyword=wheel+spacers

I shoudl add that every time you post one of these terrific diagrams, I print out a few , have them laminated and hand em out to all my pals, especially the electrical ones. Actually it all could be published in a simpletractor manual for ucd's posterity, thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Mike, I too was confused by your post (but then I'm a little stupid sometimes). Were you looking for the information that UCD insisted you asked for? Or, were you looking for help in finding a link to a previous post that you remembered (as I thought, based on reading your post?)? There is a big difference, and the folks on this site could really help. Unfortunately, my impression is that there are some people that post here and cause others not to want to start any controversy due to potential repercussions. It's too bad, but that's the way it often seems to be. Just wondering - John

I don't see the point of posting what you did John. The questions was answered and the gentleman who asked was happy with the answer. Why stir when the pot is empty???

Maynard, I have never seen anything showing to measure a bolt circle like that. I was taught to do it in the way that is shown wrong. Far side of one lug to the center of other. This has always provided me with the correct results, I have driven older Mopars most of my driving career and they run 4 1/2" bolt circle on five lugs just like the old GT's. This has been the way I have measured potential swaps and it works for me. Or, am I looking at this wrong as I have been known to do?;)

quote:
Originally posted by B-16_IC
Maynard, I have never seen anything showing to measure a bolt circle like that. I was taught to do it in the way that is shown wrong. Far side of one lug to the center of other. This has always provided me with the correct results, I have driven older Mopars most of my driving career and they run 4 1/2" bolt circle on five lugs just like the old GT's. This has been the way I have measured potential swaps and it works for me. Or, am I looking at this wrong as I have been known to do?;)
B-16_ic, I believe you are correct. I tried finding wheels for an old trailer using center to center measurement and found that it did not work out. Finally made a jig off an old wheel for checking wheels at the junk yards and the measurement was as you say "outside to center 4.5". Seems like direct measurement would be easiest...Don't know how you would possibly determine what the diameter of a five lug pattern is. I found that almost no one in the field knew how to measure lug spacing. But I later found info in an old automotive shop book that supported my findings... this is the first I have ever seen of measuring c/c on adjacent studs.

OK I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I owned a garage and sold custom accessories and speed equipment and custom wheels for over 25 years. The diagrams above came out of a wheel catalog I found on line. It shows one of the many ways of measuring a five lug bolt circle pattern. If you can't measure a 4, 6 OR 8 lug pattern you better give up.
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Now what is the correct way to measure wheel bolt patterns?
Mike asked for a correct way to measure a 5 lug bolt pattern I found one and posted it and he was satisfied. This can be done several ways. So what is the problem other than certain people have got nothing better to do than complain about what I post. A lot of the time they don't know what they are talking about. But that is ok and accepted. I guess the solution is for me is to save my time and aggravation and stop posting like some of the other more knowledgeable people have and the Malcontents can be happy and gloat to there buddies.
HAPPY NEW YEAR

I think everyone should remember something, the answers you get here are just from members trying to help. Right or wrong!!!!! The respective thing to do is just to say thank you and take what they say and use it to help you solve your question/problem.

I believe you guys are more than a bit thin skinned . I was complaining of nothing....All I was saying is I believe direct measuring is better than having to refer to a chart and I haven't a clue how you determine the diameter of a circle connecting the centers if five studs without a center point or without a bit of higher math. I don't care if you invented the wheel, it does not make you an infallible authority on every thing that rolls. There seems to be a google of folks over here that think they are absolute authorities and think it is an affront to their manhood to question their theories. Elon, I am sorry but I thought this was a discussion room not a throne room. <

Maynard, I do find that you personally have a world of knowledge about these tractors but sometimes it is akin to trying to get water from a cactus. The water is great but the spines are unbearable. ST is just one of a number of sites that discuss garden tractors in general an Simplicity specifically and I visit and post on most. If you think you and Simple Tractors have the only true gospel than than you are mistaken. This is not much of a discussion if you are incapable of entertaining alternate and frankly less complicated solutions to a question. I don't come over here that often because it is very difficult to have a friendly exchange of ideas with closed minded individuals who refuse to learn anything new. BTW: it is a real sign of a weak argument when you immediately resort to name calling ie; " malcontents" That is what makes having a discussion with you so entertaining.

quote:
Originally posted by Storm7012
Hay, check it out....my seven hundred and one post. Just thought I'd lighten the mood here a little.....:D
Congratulations! Milestones come and go.

Strange....I found the UCD's answer to be simple, direct and accurate. I copied the images (without permission) and MOVED ON!! Shame on me!!
quote:
Originally posted by skunkhome
..... Elon, I am sorry but I thought this was a discussion room not a throne room. <
Nothing wrong with a little worship > Maynard, thank you so much for once again providing simple and accurate info. I greatly appreciate all of your efforts, you've taught this old dog many new tricks and I hope you never stop contributing. Mike

quote:
this is the first I have ever seen of measuring c/c on adjacent studs.
So you learned something new
quote:
I don't come over here that often because it is very difficult to have a friendly exchange of ideas with closed minded individuals who refuse to learn anything new.
Have you looked in the mirror You call fly by night shade tree unsafe short cuts learning something new and criticize the tried and true proven methods as close minded. You are the one that is criticizing the concept. That sounds pretty hard headed to me I was not the one that jumped in with critical comments.
quote:
I don't care if you invented the wheel it does not make you an infallible authority on every thing that rolls
I never said I was "an infallible authority" those are your remarks trying to get something started, not mine.
quote:
I don't come over here that often because it is very difficult to have a friendly exchange of ideas with closed minded individuals
So why come here at all, or is it just to criticize
quote:
I do find that you personally have a world of knowledge about these tractors
I never said I had a world of knowledge about these tractors but it certainly is more than yours as well as mechanical, electrical and machinist knowledge and I don't know all there is to know about those subjects either. There are people here that know a lot more than I do or ever will but you are not one of them.

Oh! Horse Hockey! Maynard, You can twist this however you wish. I used no inflammatory language at all until you blew your stack and started (Shouting) accusing commentators, I being one, of saying you "know nothing". As a matter of fact I never said that your method, which you say is not actually yours, was wrong. I just said that there was another method that was less complicated. I don't see how that can possibly be considered inflammatory unless offering another solution is blasphemous. It is hard to refrain continuing this but it appears to be just straining over a gnat.

I deleted an entire post where I was answering your twisted questions. I decided that your retorts were inflamitory it was in fact very inflammatory to answer in the way I did so decided after sending the post that it was too much. I do a lot of editing because I can and because I am a lousy typist. There have been no edits to hide my comments or illeged inflammatory statements prior to your blowup, where you wrote. "OK I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I owned a garage and sold custom accessories and speed equipment and custom wheels for over 25 years. The diagrams above came out of a wheel catalog I found on line. It shows one of the many ways of measuring a five lug bolt circle pattern. If you can't measure a 4, 6 OR 8 lug pattern you better give up. quote:Originally posted by Mike Now what is the correct way to measure wheel bolt patterns? Mike asked for a correct way to measure a 5 lug bolt pattern I found one and posted it and he was satisfied. This can be done several ways. So what is the problem other than certain people have got nothing better to do than complain about what I post. A lot of the time they don't know what they are talking about. But that is ok and accepted. I guess the solution is for me is to save my time and aggravation and stop posting like some of the other more knowledgeable people have and the Malcontents can be happy and gloat to there buddies. HAPPY NEW YEAR" BTW: your last post just indicated that what I said about measuring a 5 lug pattern was correct. Instead of popping a gasket, you could have come back and said that the method was valid but you preferred to use the one you posted. How simple that could have been. This could have been a very good discussion instead of a fire fight.

It seems I have a great talent once again for starting debates.:I Maynard, I have mostly seen the method I described and you showed in the last diagram above for measuring bolt patterns. Many of the places I have read it have been respected publications written by genuine technicians. I was in no way attacking your post, just adding my experience and knowledge to the fray, whatever it's worth. One thing we must keep in mind when measuring late model wheels or components to place onto old tractors and autos is the metric system. The new stuff is quite often produced in metric measurements that do not exactly match the old ASE inches and smidgens of the old. Quite often a tape measure will show it to fit, but trying it proves otherwise.;) Just something to keep in mind.