Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wheel spacers

Mike

The first diagram I posted shows an incorrect way of measuring center to center on second bolt which is the way a lot of people try to measure. As you said center to outside is one of the correct ways to measure. Sometimes even with a bolt pattern template it is hard to tell some of the metric patterns from a standard pattern. like the 5x4" pattern found on the early 70's midsize dodge products and the 5x100mm pattern.

:OWell I don't know about the rest of you but I learned several things I didn't know before and I made my living as an automotive fleet mechanic for 27 years. Thanks to all the posters who answer questions and post information on this site!!!!8D

• 2 weeks later...
Center to outside measurement is only an approximation. If you measure on a garden tractor, they use 7/16 lugs, if you measure on a Ford, they use 1/2 lugs. Since you are measuring to the outside of the lug the additional 1/16 will add to the measurement. If you measured the same lug spacing on the racecar we used to run, you would get a different measurement, since we used 9/16 lugs. I am not trying to counterract what others have said. I am just trying to show a fact.

That's a good point Rod. Comparing 5 lug patterns in that manner would only be accurate when the stud or whole diameters are alike.
[img]http://mechdb.com/images/d/d0/Bolt_circles.jpg[/img]
Otherwise you would have to do a little math (certain doom for me). This is why I really like the second 'cheater' measuring picture Maynard posted! I never saw that before. Thanks

After reading Rod's post and going back to the original image, I think the confusion and debate was caused by a lazy artist on the website Maynard found the image on. This is what I think the image should have been:
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/mohrds/BoltCirclePattern.jpg[/img]
Then using Rod's info, the measurement would be between 4-1/4 and 4-3/8 depending on the size of the bolt. Actually, you can use the center to center method, but it needs to be a chart like the one in Maynard's post, but with different numbers. Doug

Reading some of these posts it seams to me a poor way to start off the new year.I think some of you have a serious complex as I have noticed some of these same members have gotten quite defensive before.I do appreciate all of the help I do get on this site and that is what this site is all about, it is not about arguing back and forth with fellow members.

How about a different way to check this? In any bolt circle, the distance from the center of one hole to the center of the adjoining hole is called a chord. A chart of chord lengths for common bolt circles, along with a simple formula to figure out the uncommon ones can be found in Machinerys Handbook, along with many other places. I am a machinist so this makes most sense for me. I know if math isn't your strong suit this may not be for you, but it is a different, and accurate way to check bolt circles. The formula for the chord length of a bolt circle is.... Sin(1/2 angle) X radius=chord length... where Sin(1/2angle) is the sine of 1/2 of the angle between holes (on a five hole pattern the angle between the holes is 72 deg [360 divided by 5] so 1/2 angle is 36. If you are thinking it is a 5 inch bolt circle, the radius is half the diameter or 2.5 inches. Therefore the chord length would be the sine of 36 deg. times 2.5, which is 0.5878 times 2.5, which is 1.4695. Easy, isn't it? Steve

I understand exactly what you said Steve, since I am a retired Mechanical Engineer. I also have a copy of Machinerys Handbook in my bookcase. :D It may be a little difficult to understand for those who are not proficient in math, especially trigonometry.

One thing I appreciate about this site is that so many of us come at a common question or problem from many different ways. Sometimes I think "that is pure genius!" and other times I wonder what the guy could possibly be thinking! But we all get to where we are going one way or the other. If we weren't all different, it would be alot more boring (unless of course if everyone were like me, good looking, smart, and above all modest!). And we all have at least two things in common: we like our tractors, and we were all smart enough to join this club! Steve

Well, if you really want to talk about wheel spacers, an old gentleman who I purchased a tractor from fabricated these, did a great job, wheels run true, traction and stability are greatly improved, but the footprint is quite large, within a 48" deck but not a 42" blower....

That is the setup on Eric's snow machine. The rims and tires were reversed so they dide not stick out too far. Was needed to clear the 26x12x12 lug tires

Wouldn't the spacers that Brettw posted be hard on bearings? I have a set of spacers for duel wheels that a friend made for me. They are 12" long and we used them on my brother's JD when mowing a hill too steep for my big Kubota. The reason we used his JD instead of my B12 is the pressure oiling system on his tractor which my B12 doesn't have. They worked great.

Actually they are not for duals, they aren't the right length or set up correctly as far as bolting up. This old farmer actually did fabricate these specifically to widen the stance, with the help of his nephew who works in a machine shop. This gent is quite the tinkerer. You should have seen the side mount tow mower he had setup, very clean well engineered deal. I went to pick up the tractor, and spent a few hours chewin' the fat with him. Quite the interesting and gentlemanly individual.

Any place that sells trailer axles should have a paper bolt center template to hand out. Or get one off from an axle website like this one: http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/trailertires/bolt_circle.html I've had one of these and it served me well until I found a more durable plastic version at a automotive swap meet. Hope this helps.

Wow, all this time I thought Trigonometry was a board game. Jeeez!
quote:
[i]... where Sin(1/2angle) is the sine of 1/2 of the angle between holes (on a five hole pattern the angle between the holes is 72 deg [360 divided by 5] so 1/2 angle is 36. If you are thinking it is a 5 inch bolt circle, the radius is half the diameter or 2.5 inches. Therefore the chord length would be the sine of 36 deg. times 2.5, which is 0.5878 times 2.5, which is 1.4695. Easy, isn't it? Steve
Steve, when I read this, the top of my skull unscrewed itself and lava came out! But somehow I get it - thanks!