Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JohnMBerst

5212.5 Upgrade

JohnMBerst
Ok, with 25 years and going strong, I'm thinking of looking to upgrade the engine this summer. While 12.5 hp has been ok, have over 1600 hours on the engine. Found a 1998 Briggs twin 19.5 hp engine on eBay for $46.00, which should fit the tractor. The "new" used is a model 423707 type 2631E1. Wondering if you think is too big for the tractor. I use it to cut about 1.5 acres of grass and about 5-6 300+ feet of driveways in the winter. First time thinking of doing this, but cheaper than a new tractor. Have repainted most of the tractor, repaired the 5 speed so should be good for another 20 years. :) Gotta love the orange. But at this price, what the heck.....

Chuck_Woolery
For $46 buy it, or someone else might. :D Is it still the flat twin L-head design? I checked my 6211 a while back(which is roughly the same size as the 5200's) and I should be able to fit a later model Briggs Vanguard V-twin in there. Don't know how the muffler will fit, but the engine should.

JohnMBerst
Yes a 12.5 is a twin L head as is the 19.5. So engine size wise should fit. I assume the muffler will have to be changed out to fit, since this was off a Craftsman tractor. But price is right, and have bought it. If no fit can always look to others who might be interested. Only time will tell.? Even if I put it into the corner of the outbuilding for now. The 12.5 pulls hard, and no smoke so far. More of plan B.....

sbull78
when i had my 6216's which are somewhat the same i swapped out their tired 16 horses and put in 17.5 and and 18 in them...the only issue i had was i had to do a small amount of "custom" exhaust work which was minimal..i found a muffler on ebay and just heated and bent the exhaust to reroute it to where i needed it to go...as easy as it gets for swapping....good luck...great deal on that motor if its good!!!