Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sammiefish

AC312H charging?

sammiefish
Ive been rewiring and trouble shooting my 312.... well, progress... the safety switches and the ign sw are all good.... now to the charging issue...

It seems that the regulator connections were sorta (way) corroded...so... after cleaning them up... I was able to get some data... basically following the troubleshooting scheme outlined here" http://simpletractors.com/service/kohler_electrics.htm with the engine running I measure 28V AC across the stator leads while disconnected from the regulator... (thank God!!) I did further troubleshooting with a completely dead battery and a new fully charged battery... DEAD BATTERY: I measured the voltage across the dead battery .. basically 0V I jumpstarted the engine... Im getting 13.8V at the battery and 13.8V at the battery termnal of the regulator (yellow wire). NEW BATTERY: key on, not running: 12.6V across battery terminals and 12.6V at battery connection of regulator. start engine: 13.3V across battery and 13.3V at battery connection of regulator (yellow wire) Do you think the regulator is not putting out enough V? shouldn't it be 14 - 15V... is 13.3 close enough for horseshoes? Im guessing regulator???

OrangeMetalGuy
Not sure what the original problem was, but if you are getting 13+ volts across the battery with the engine running, that tells me you are charging fine. What is the actual problem you are trying to solve?

sammiefish
Well.... its a long story.... but ... When i picked this tractor up this past summer I was told it would run until the battery was dead then quit... at the time all the wiring was screwed up... so ive been re-wiring... (someone was running too much current and burned up the plugs on the harness on both the key switch and the regulator) when i got the key switch working and spark .. and running... it was indeed not charging.. well, it seems that it was the contacts on the regulator being corroded after the plug was toasted... so... now, just to be sure I did the diagnostics... and I thought 13.3V would be considered low... and im not sure if that is actually enough to charge.... granted, Im probably fine for quite some time if all continues as described... it just that Id like not to do this twice sm00

Vassal
Sounds like it's working to me, your battery is charged so there's no demand. Dead battery = voltage goes up, Good battery = voltage goes down. IMO, 13.3v should keep a good battery charged and the real test will be to add electrical load (lift actuator, PTO clutch, lights etc) to see what the system does.

sammiefish
the point of using the DEAD battery was to see what the reg would do in that condition of needing to charge... 13.8V... i suppose thats pretty close to 14.. i thought it should be 14.4...??? but whats a few 10ths among friendsdz i will monitor the V with demand... pto etc thanks

sammiefish
Thanks Dan! Well, that gets me to the next issue to fix... the choke and throttle cable are not nominal!! The throttle cable is not connected at all... Im not sure if it is even there... the PO has "set" the rpm... im guessing 1/2 to maybe 3/4... not even sure how he did that... tightening something too far maybe... OK, so I guess I should get this thing up in RPM further and see if I get a little higher V Thanks BTW, anyone ever monkey with replacing a throttle cable? Is the cable replaceable or possibly the whole assembly (handle and all) must be replaced? That would be a bummer as it is riveted in...

rm
regulator controls the voltage output depending on the load. when you have a dead battery the alternator, regulator. it will work hard to charge your battery when your battery is 12-14 volts its charged. it does not have to work hard, so less voltage output. if you have a starter-generator. your dead battery might not charge correctly. you can burn out your generator by over working it you might burn out the generator by trying to charge battery charge your battery with a plug in model i keep battery tenders on mine

sammiefish
RM: great comments... thats the reason i used a dead battery and a new battery... I was a little concerned that I had 13.8 on the dead battery and 13.3 on the fully charged battery... I would have figured that there would be a greater difference... but hey.... On the 300 series there is either a breakerless ign or the battery magneto ign... both with starters and alternators (stator and magnets).... no generators... and BTW, I too have started using the "FLOAT" chargers... ~300 mA wall wart w/electronics... dont hook up unless fully charged but keeps the battery up nicely in the cold... $7 @ a harbor store... THANKS and MERRY XMAS, HAPPY HOLIDAYS....!!!