Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lube Question

Roy

On the 7000/7100 series tractors the throttle and hydro transmission controls depend upon friction to stay in their desired positions. Yet, they can get stiff/difficult to move. I know the tightness of the nuts that secure them can be adjusted to control the friction but would like to know if the friction washers on these controls should be lubricated? And, if so, with what (oil, grease, silicon)?? Thanks,

Roy, I grease or lube it all. My hydro used to be really tight...now its loose but does not jump around at all. Much nicer feel when it glides vs. drags...

Roy, the hydro controls are laced with metal to metal contact and hence are prone to wear and rust causing em-mince friction and the jumpy/jerky "feel" from years of use. I would lubricate the mess out of the hydro controls. The throttle however is simplistic enough in design all it should ever need is to be kept clean and dry. After the initial adjustment it should be good for years of service. IMHO

The throttle lever on the RBTs has a lock nut that you can tighten and loosen to create friction to hold throttle position. The main friction point on the Sundstand hydros is the lever quandant, everything else should be free moving.

Thanks to all for your input. Will lube both the throttle and the hydro control. Agree with Mike that the lever quadrant is what holds the desired setting.