Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sluggish drive

osenga

while I was out playing around in the snow today . this is a hydrostat. I was about half speed and it just like it was slipping and when i went to back up there was like no reverse there at all and would somewhat kick in and out did it about the whole time i was out there . My linkages are all tight like they should be and the belt is good to go . what would it be or should i ask would this happen from being set in a building with no heat

well I know the belt is ok i think i i push it down how much play should i have. And we talking oil in the rearend or the bgb and any easy ways to change either never changed either one of them and what oils do i use . I do have 90w gear oil and hydro fluid sitting around and its all new if that would work??

All last summer I put up with the same nonsense. Very little reverse and slow to get going when cold. I even changed the filter and that made it worse. I never suspected that the filter housing was the oil reservoir. Finally last week after adjusting the linkage so I could get more reverse speed when snow blowing I decided (I'm quick) to check the fluid level. Low and behold there was a hose leaking on the filter housing. I tightened up the clamp, topped off the oil and now if I'm not setting on the tractor when I start it, it will just about chase me out of the barn. So You might want to make sure your fluid level is up where it is suppose to be. Don't wait to check it like I did. Good luck, 3414H Baron

YA i did that when i set the blower on it since i changed the motor oil for the winter. and I checked the other fluids to then and they were up . But in the summer months while tilling / plowing mowing and other stuff i have for them i did not have this holding me up then. This is the 1st winter it has been around here

quote:
Originally posted by osenga
well I know the belt is ok i think i i push it down how much play should i have. And we talking oil in the rearend or the bgb and any easy ways to change either never changed either one of them and what oils do i use . I do have 90w gear oil and hydro fluid sitting around and its all new if that would work??
Belt condition isn't the issue. Belt tension was what I was refering to. Sometimes on a hydro the lack of using the clutch pedal will make the pedal linkage stick. This leads to the return spring not being able to pull the belt tight. A quick check is while moving forward reach down and pull up on the clutch pedal. If no change then look for the problem elsewhere. Hydro's can use DextronIII automatic fluid or hytrans equivalant hydraulic oil. Use the same hydraulic oil in the BGB. You may also want to inspect the linkage going to the hydro. As Bob pointed out you may find something loose. These tractors are prone to have binding linkage from a tractor that has sat for awhile due to the friction in the linkage at the spring dampener assembly under the seat. Most people just lock the springs out.