Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

allis 620 power chute motor

peterinbrooklyn

where can I find a motor for the power chute on an allis 620 for a 52" snowblower. I got one from oreilys and it only will go one way...said it was from a 60's chevy impala...

They are wired two different ways. If you put positive on one wire and ground on the other and it turns, then you have to reverse the two wires to make it turn the other way. You need a double pole double throw switch with center off to to this. It should also be momentary. The other way is to have a chassis ground and one wire is forward and the other wire is reverse. This can be hooked up with a single pole double throw momentary switch. I have never seen a power window motor that doesn't work in both directions.

Wiring useing most common GM power window motors and motor supplied by Simplicity

Most power lift motors

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44562

The chute motor on these blowers use a chassis ground, one terminal hot= one direction. Normally a window motor is wired polarity specific so + on one wire - on the other = one direction, using the correct switch like in Maynard's second diagram will switch both wires and reverse the polarity so the motor runs in either direction. You can have several types of motors in any given common motor chassis. Since you obtained this from Oriely's and it's for a window application I'd say you'll need to wire it like the second diagram. You'll need to do some investigation before deciding what to do exactly. Does your switch have 3 connections like the first diagram or 6 like the second?

Im glad to read this .... a couple comments...: 1st: how does the replacement motor know when to stop?? operator letting go of the switch? or will the motor reach a "stop" position? 2nd: Im needing a new and more shiny switch for my electric lift same requirement really.... I figured it was just a double pole double throw switch when my favorite dealer quoted almost $30 for the replacement I said no thanks... and opted to stay with my rusty switch... What do you think these things go for in the generic world?

On power window motors you can check wiring by grounding the motor housing to the - negative terminal of a battery and touching one wire to the + positive terminal the motor should turn one way. Then touch the other wire to the + positive terminal it should turn the other way. In this case you would use a SPDT (Single pole Double throw) momentary on switch as in the first diagram. Most power window motors use this system. Simplicity Original Equipment power spout rotator motors were 1970 & 1980's GM power window motors.

If the motor dose not turn as by above description Take one wire and touch it to negative terminal and the other wire to positive terminal the motor will turn one way now reverse the wires and motor will turn in opposite direction. In this case you will need a DPDT (Double pole Double throw) momentary on switch as in the bottom diagram.

quote:
1st: how does the replacement motor know when to stop?? operator letting go of the switch? or will the motor reach a "stop" position?
The motor knows when to stop when you let go of the switch. These switches should be momentary on switches. (spring loaded auto return to center) They will also stop when the shute cable reaches its limit. These motors do not have much power.
quote:
2nd: Im needing a new and more shiny switch for my electric lift same requirement really....
You will need the DPDT momentary on switch bottom diagram.
quote:
I figured it was just a double pole double throw switch when my favorite dealer quoted almost $30 for the replacement
Depending on quality of switch (plastic vs metal) a SPDT (Single pole Double throw) switch will be $5.00 - $15.00. A DPDT (Double pole Double throw) switch between $15.00 and $30.00 At a parts store. Simplicity is over $60.00

quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton7016
quote:
I have never seen a power window motor that doesn't work in both directions.
No, but my wife's purse operates like this.;)
Erik, coffee just came out of my nose!:D:D:D But I know what you mean!!!

UCD, Thanks for the diagram post.I printed it and will put it in my Powermax folder for further use.I'm sure it will come in handy and save me some search time.

• 1 year later...
So if I don't want to drop the "big coin" for a OEM chute motor, any electric window motor will do? Are there any specific ones that have been found to be more easily adaptable for these blowers? Are there any good online locations to purchase one, or is a local auto junk yard the best (and least expensive) option? Thanks. After this year and snow, I've gotten sick of twisting the chute around ... plus, mine vibrates loose, so I end up having to hold the darn thing almost all the time! It just takes too much of the fun out of blowing snow!

I used motors from mid 90's GM's as the gear tooth diameter will mesh with a 13/16 - 12 point 3/8 sq dr socket. I also used a piece of tire iron for the cable take up. I have it located that the socket and shaft float with out coming off. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/BLT/Rortaor1.jpg http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/BLT/Rortaor2.jpg http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/BLT/Rortaor3.jpg It looks crude but pretty functional.

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton7016
quote:
I have never seen a power window motor that doesn't work in both directions.
No, but my wife's purse operates like this.;)
Erik, coffee just came out of my nose!:D:D:D But I know what you mean!!!
Mike, Eating or drinking when reading Erik's replies can be hazardous to your health as well as possibly damaging to your computer. Please exercise care in the future.

The bad part is there is a difference between the 2 sides.I use the early to late 70's as they are more heavy duty(I have a newer one on one tractor and not as good) I had a problem with my new 720 (it would only turn 1 way)It turned out that one terminal was broke off.I had to take it apart and drilled a hole through the plastic part and then solidered it together. Works good now but plan to get a different one from a freind. Good luck Bob