Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7018 Hydro Filter

Roy

Remember seeing posts on cross reference filters for the Sundstrand hydro on the large frame tractors. Couldn't get a search to work so did some research. Every filter manufacturer/source (Wix, Donaldson, Baldwin, Stens, Jacks Small Engines, etc.) I checked listed a replacement filter. But, they all had anti-drain valves. The 7018 Operators Manual clearly states "cartridge w/25 micron rating, full flow w/o anti-drain back" Would someone please point me to the cross reference posts. Thanks,

NAPA has, " Silicon Anti-Drain Back Valve - " Wix filter has, "Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes" Where can I find the specs for an OEM Simplicity filter?? Thanks,

"The 7018 Operators Manual clearly states "cartridge w/25 micron rating, full flow w/o anti-drain back" Ray, What you posted is what I quoted from as shown above. It is the Simplicity/Sundstrand specification for the filter. What I would like to find is the specification for the filter itself (P.N. 1650954) from the filter manufacturer that supplies Simplicity. Is the Operators Manual specification possibly wrong since all the cross reference replacement filters have an anti-drain back valve?? Thanks,

Roy I wonder if this is the specs for just the remote filter which the parts manual shows the 7018 has. Applications with a vertical installed inlet/outlet up filter usually do not require a anti-drain back valve because the filter is always full of fluid and does not drain. Filters installed vertically with inlet/outlet down and horizontally installed filters usually require an anti-drain back valve to prevent the fluid from emptying from the filter and causing dry starts. The reason for anti drain back valves is to prevent dry starts due to having to fill the filter before any lubrication gets to the moving parts as filters are installed on the feed/pressure side and not the return side. An anti-drain back valve filter would not cause a problem on the 7018 as the filter is mounted remote vertically with the inlet/outlet up. in this case the filter is just a more expensive filter. The filter numbers I gave above were for the horizontally mounted (Attached filters) Below is from the Simplicity Transmission & Gearbox Lubrication charts 1650954 (Long) O.D. - 3. 850 x L-3.750 Sundstrand - Model 15 Inline. 4040, 4041, 9020, 616, 620 and 720 Series Tractors. Sundstrand - Model 15 U Type. SunStar, 18 & 20 HP GT, 1900 and 2900 Series Tractors with twin cylinder engines. Legacy, 2000 and 2900 Series Tractors. 7000 & 700 Series tractors (Remote Filter) NOTE: Not for Legacy, 2000 and 2900 Series Tractors with 60" Mowers. 1671234 (Short) O.D. - 3.720 x L-2.280 Sundstrand - Model 15 U Type. SunStar and 1900 Series Tractors with single cylinder engines. Legacy, 2000 and 2900 Series Tractors with 60" Mowers. 1709322 (Medium) O.D. - 3.720 x L - 3.220 Sundstrand - Model 15 U Type. 7100, 17GTH-L, Sovereign, 900 and 2800 Series Tractors. (Attached filters) 1707873 Sundstrand - Model BDU-21L, 16 GT, Landlord, 1700 and 2700 Series Tractors. Filter cross references Simplicity 1650954 BALDWIN B163, WIX 51307, NAPA 1307. Allis Chalmers 1650954 BALDWIN B233, WIX 51068, Napa 1068, Simplicity 1709322 BALDWIN B132, WIX 51335, NAPA 1335 Cross references for the following part number(s) were not found. Simplicity 1671234 Simplicity 1707873
  • Thanks 1

I've been happy with the NAPA Gold filter on the hydro of my 716H, no ill effects. I wouldn't worry about it, just don't go and buy the cheapest filter you can find.

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Below is from the Simplicity Transmission & Gearbox Lubrication charts 1650954 (Long) O.D. - 3. 850 x L-3.750 Sundstrand - Model 15 Inline. 4040, 4041, 9020, 616, 620 and 720 Series Tractors. Sundstrand - Model 15 U Type. SunStar, 18 & 20 HP GT, 1900 and 2900 Series Tractors with twin cylinder engines. Legacy, 2000 and 2900 Series Tractors. 7000 & 700 Series tractors (Remote Filter) NOTE: Not for Legacy, 2000 and 2900 Series Tractors with 60" Mowers. Filter cross references Simplicity 1650954 BALDWIN B163, WIX 51307, NAPA 1307. Allis Chalmers 1650954 BALDWIN B233, WIX 51068, Napa 1068,
Any idea why the Simplicity 1650954 and Allis Chalmers 1650954 filters cross reference to different filters from NAPA, WIX, and Baldwin? I ran across this confusion when I was looking for a filter for the Sunstar and decided to just go with the OEM filter.

OEM is definitely the way to go. Did some fairly extensive research. Net result is that although some of the cross reference filters of other brands obviously work none of the ones I checked meet the OEM specification in all respects. Suction filter for a hydraulic system including Sundstrand should not have a bypass valve. Apparently an anti-drain back valve is OK. Filtration rating should be 25 microns nominal.

My 7790 has had a NAPA 1068 or a wix 51068 in it for 22 years and over 5000 hrs and is still going strong. It has been used 10 times harder than you will ever use your tractor. But you can't go wrong with OEM

Roy, I had the same question 2 or more years ago. I did buy a Simplicity one from the dealer and it also had the antidrain valve. The post is here somewhere along with the pictures I took inside the filters showing the simplicity one with the valve in it and the one I took off with out it. I would quess that somewhere along the way they figured it was ok to use with the valve. Sorry, I didn't see this post sooner.

Thom, An anti-drain back valve is OK per Simplicity. A bypass/pressure relief valve for when the filter becomes clogged is not. Thanks,

Yes I got that. Was just stating, for people finding this in future searches, that the Simplicity replacement now has an antidrain valve in it also so that should not deter anyone from buying an aftermarket because it has one in it.

• 1 year later...
Just ran into this thread while searching, and Roy's statement above about a pressure bypass valve not being OK has me concerned, as both the Wix 51355 and the NAPA 3155 specs indicate that the filters have the valve (set to 8-11 PSI). Is that going to be an issue?

It is 51335 not 51355. I have been using the 51335 and 51068 for past 10 years without any problems. Also Wix cross reference site say they are a replacement.

I find it profound and righteous that this post is authored by Roy (God rest his soul), and the first responder is Maynard (God rest his soul too). With over 1100 visits, it is an absolute testament to the impact these two individuals had on this site. Celestial thanks to both of these friends.

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
I find it profound and righteous that this post is authored by Roy (God rest his soul), and the first responder is Maynard (God rest his soul too). With over 1100 visits, it is an absolute testament to the impact these two individuals had on this site. Celestial thanks to both of these friends.
Yep. I noticed that too. sm01 And what a team. One seeking tek detail, and the other providing exact detail. wow. A parade of stars in action. Thx for mentioning that Brett. sm01

• 10 years later...
On 12/25/2009 at 6:04 AM, Killer_A-C said:

Just put on a OE Simplicity filter and be done with it. Why take a chance just to save a couple bucks?

Very old posts but fwiw?- Auto/tractor makers dont make filters, spark plugs etc.. even if their name is on the part/package they don't manufacture it. They simply have other companies who make those parts supply them. Its why so many tune up parts fit on many different brands of vehicles/engines.

In fact for the first several years vehicle engines were actually built with no oil filter at all so people changed engine oil all the time.

Finally this "aftermarket" filter company said "Here' add this to stop all the crazy oil change madness".  Then car makers excepted this change and designed cars to use their filters. 

Check it out.

https://www.pureoil.com/es/purolator-structure-old/import/history/