Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

well.... let me tell ya... update w/pics 1-5-10

dirtmister16

About my day. woke up at 6am, got ready went out to fire up the old JD and it would not start(first time since we have owned it i think) so go up to the garage get good ole reliable Allis b10 fired up, start my plowing, get the garage cleaned, cleaned one neighbor, start another get just about done. get stuck, get unstuck, then tire must have been low and bead broken, so now i got a flat tire(yay me!)try to move that sucker, ohh noo way in all the three people we had. finally the chain got hooked into my clutch brake and i couldn't even get it to work out. uhh! ok get it moved out of the way for now. so now i have three drives done plus 5 more to go. no machines in working order(gosh i wish i had the HB up in going again!!!!!) so now i got no help but myself. and i need to go bout 80 miles north too yet. so i call some people, no help. ok well guess i just gotta go on my trip and come back and get things figured out(i was too frustrated at that point anyway) finally leave town, get there at round noon or so. find out the guy only has shovels and i gotta help clean the driveway to get in there with my truck. get that done, and finally go look at what i came for in the first place, (i believe to be a early) big ten/b 10. with tiller,blower,and deck. drive shaft is bent, but comes with piping to fix. start looking things over, looks OK, all parts seem to be there for the most part nothing major missing. engine has no oil(he drained to work on it) good compression. i look at the blower, only thing seems to be missing is the engagement rod and bracket for the tractor for rod(OK, nothing unexpected), check deck over, its a bit rough but in OK shape. get to tiller, in great shape, and all parts including tiller drive and seems to be complete(score! i had to keep my giddiness to myself) OK, now its time to deal, he wants 400 for everything. so i think(non runner,drive shaft bent, have to reassemble things a bit) and show him all of this and point out the work it will take to get this in working condition. we give and take and work downwards(things going good). finally we arrive at $150 dollars for the works, and help loading it up. so for $150 i get tractor with bent drive shaft and motor not running tiller complete with hitch and drive 36' blower with hitch and most parts deck with guards, and good blades two sets of tires and wheels, one with chains. thinking i did good even though i had to go aways out of my way to get it, I'm happy. so what you guys think? i think it was a good deal all around. now when i get back home is more to do though. come home, unload truck, get friend to help steer flat tire machine and get in garage. got the snow blower going, cleared the drives. shoveled slush. went up to garage and got tire back together and chains on securely. put more air in tires. get done with day at 9:30 and now to clean up and rest and get up early and clear more. merry Christmas PLEASE BE PATIENT I HAVE A LOT OF PICTURES TO UPLOAD BUT HERE ARE THE PICTURES AS PROMISED pics are of tractor, and all attachments and parts i got. i will take better ones tomorrow when i get the parts out and make a decision on what i will do with everything.

UPDATE ON TRACTOR 1-1-10 on 12-30-09/Wednesday Decided to dig into the tractor and implements. I got the tractor out and started to get things checked over, put oil in and a few other things were double checked. Put a battery charger on it and let it be for a bit while going over implements, they seemed pretty good and i need to clean them up and add a bolt or two here and there. Tried to start tractor, turns over very slowly(after that put charger in start position) still no go. ok start checking by hand, wow lot of resistance. hmmm wonder what that is about? So i decided to pull the head and check things over a bit, once head is off i see a mouse nest in the tin(aha, thought that might be there, a mouse ran out of the tractor when i was checking it over at the PO place) so tried to clean it out a bit with my long pliers, still not enough. OK, TIME TO PULL THE ENGINE! started unhooking battery,generator,carburetor was taken off completely. Finally get it all unbolted and ready to go. I hoisted it up with my redneck chain hoist AKA COME ALONG,hooked to rafter with a screw hook. The reason for that is that i am working in my small shed vs my shop with a regular chain hoist installed. The engine came out without too much trouble, but had to get it on a bench so i an work on it with some sort of ease anyway. After thinking about ways to do this, i finally just hefted it, which i would rather not but didn't see a easier option till help arrived a couple hours later. Now that i can work on it somewhat, i pull the head back off(replaced to keep engine clean) start getting the parts off so i can pull the belt pulley to get the shroud off, and start cleaning the mouse crud off this poor engine. While doing that i clean the engine as best i can and clean the head and piston and valves on, and the rest of the block what i can while its out. took the coil off and taped up some wires that were a bit bare from mice and cleaned the coil and grounds up. fires really nicely now. fired ok before now its good, also checked the points over while i was there, just a nice cleaning and they were good as ever. Got everything back together and ready for reinstalation, get motor back in with some help from a friend and hook everything back up good enough to get it running anyway. tried to get it to turn over but still sluggish, bad battery this time. So i had to give up for the day and wait till i could get my spare battery back, and i got that today, so i will try again maybe sunday night if i have time after work. Here are some more pictures of the tear down and cleaning process i went through with the tractor.

this took me most of the day i think i was done with all the work i was doing about 3 in the afternoon. in between checking things an cleaning,a couple of odds and ends here and there as well. UPDATE 1-5-10 TUESDAY. ENGINE RUNS! cleaned carb, and put a good battery in and runs great!, carb may need a throttle shaft, but prefer a full rebuild if anything. also checked over my implements i got with the tractor, I've decided I don't need the deck and blower, i have enough of each for my needs currently. Pictures will be posted of implements, so anyone who needs info on them can check here as well. Blower is nice, but is a bit rough shape,namely the scraper edge.

The deck is in nice shape, i also have the tension pulley for this deck.

The tiller,which is the prize of this deal i got,is nice shape and seems to have the complete drive, but im still researching more on that.

not sure if i included these before but i have a few pictures of the shed im working in. compared to my shop where i usually work on my tractors..

actually this is my main shop, thought i had more pics. of my shed. guess not. haha

thanks guys, anyone got a full breakdown picture of the tiller mounting and drive. as my attachment book does not cover the mounting and drive,just the tiller it self.

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCBEN8aqI1rE3Cvh5kbp796Dq http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=57495

ray thanks for the pdf. and the link. those pictures will help a ton! i don't have the software to read that pdf for some reason. still could use a few pictures of how it is mounted on the back of the tractor and such. just for reference. after the first of the year im having a guy go through my computer and redo things. and update my software for that and a few other things. if you want to email it to me, email is in my profile. thanks for all the info and help. merry chirstmas and ill get some pictures hopefully this weekend yet and try to resize. on 160th ave by eagleton. 72 miles north of my home. was a good trip, long long day, but well worth it.

thanks ray got it going, really helpful info there. thanks again everyone. im working on pictures ill update the post when i get them. im a bit busy fixing my winter plowing b 10 at the moment, front wheel decided to fall off now. so off to working again.

• 2 weeks later...