Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mulching

dmcluckie

I notice Simplicity does not promote mulching very heavily in their brochures. How well do their mulching kits work? -Don M

I just got a Regent and when the grass is not to high and it is dry the mulching is great if the grass is wet the mulching clumps it still does a good job but not gteat. Doug

It's not that Simplicity mulchers are good or bad but that conditions for mulching must be suitable. Dry grass cut no more than 1/3 of it's lenght is ideal. Wet or tall damp grass cut shorter is not ideal and will usually stick underneath the mower and cause clumping.

Don, I just tried my new Regent yesterday for the first time. I had the bagger hooked up and did not mulch because the dealer forgot the mulch kit when he delivered the tractor. The tractor did a nice job cutting the lawn. The bagger did a great job picking up the clippings. FYI, Simplicity makes a new mulch blade with three notched fins at the end of each blade. The dealer only had one customer use this new blade design last fall to shred leaves. The customer said they did an excellent job turning the leaves to dust. My feeling is that they should do the same for grass. I did order these new mulch blades and had the dealer swap them for the blades that come with the mulch kits. I will let you know how these blades work once I try them. The dealer is going to drop off the mulch kit tonight. Marc