Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Power Steering

Terry_Hart

I have driven 3 with it. One was a dream...the other two were herky jerky if you tried to turn quick...like it was fighting you... I would still like to have it!

"the other two were herky jerky if you tried to turn quick" Ordered my Sovereign from the factory with power steering. Is nice except for the "lag" on quick turns as quoted above. Kind of makes the PS useless since it craps out just when you need it most. :(

I bought a Simplicity power steering and installed it on my 912H. It took about 4 hours to install. I then bought a 917H and sold my 912H and transferred it to the 917H. It is great. It looks quite similar to the 1910 model power steering. I gave $500 for mine - it was new in box.

Sounds like a nice to have but pretty pricey. I guess I can use the work out with the blower on it. I have never seen any on ebay or on here.

quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
Roy, wondering if you shim the relief valve to up the presure a little if that would do it? I bet Rod would know...
It's not a pressure problem, it's a flow problem. The charge pumps on these small Sundstrand pumps do not have enough flow to handle the full time demand of the hydro, the steering and the lift. Though some are slightly better than others, in this case 1/10 of a gallon per minute flow is enough to make some difference.

I got the power steering cylinder and control valve on ebay from Joe's outdoor power. The sunstars used the same set up. I purchased the rest of the parts from simplicity (steering wheel). I made all the hydraulic hoses my self and fabricated allot of the brackets my self. I have that ability I am a diesel mechanic/welder/ what ever it takessm00.I did buy the top dash and new decal from simplicity. I did notice that the top dash is no longer availableC. I have a 7116 I am hoping to do next. I have about 4 hours labor doing the install and about 2 months biding on ebay. nick

I made all my lines out of 2 wire 1/2 inch hydraulic line. Its a little bigger then original lines and I am running aw68 hydraulic oil and it seems to work great instead of the simplicity hydraulic oil.I don't know if that help me on the herky jerky.
quote:
Originally posted by Roy
"the other two were herky jerky if you tried to turn quick" Ordered my Sovereign from the factory with power steering. Is nice except for the "lag" on quick turns as quoted above. Kind of makes the PS useless since it craps out just when you need it most. :(

It might also be important to note there were two kinds of power steering kits. I believe they first introduced them due to difficult steering on the 7790 and 920 diesels (very heavy engine). It doesn't require any major mods to the tractor, you use the same steering wheel and dash. I've seen this complete setup on Ebay go for $375 to $650. The newer style came out in the 90's (I think) and I believe it uses an orbit control under the dash, thus the different steering wheel. I've never used one of these so I can't comment on how they drive or how durable they are.