Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
AC_B-1Novice

Which of the 2 LL would you restore Pics

AC_B-1Novice
Here are the pictures of the two LL that I want to make into one. I know nothing about them or how to do it other than what I have read so my question is…judging from the pictures ( I know that is hard to do ) which one would you work on to restore and leave the other one for the needed parts??? Tractor 1 or Tractor 2 This will help me know how to get started. Thanks Larry TRACTOR 1******

TRACTOR 2 *****

Your opinions might be varied but I appreciate them ALL.

osenga
I would say tractor 2 . esp since the tin and frame looks alot better there. and just go from there and put all the better stuff to one . And you could even redo the other and just to have a worker and one to show off

Storm7012
Take the best parts off each and make one good one. They both are still doable, so either one will be a good tractor. This way you may not need to look for as many parts.

timflury
I agree with Bryan and Storm. If you are going to restore either one, it shouldn't matter which one runs. And in the end,,,, it all depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. It would take longer to restore a tractor to show condition than restoring one to good working condition.

ReedS
If it were me I'd find how well each runs first, if one engine turns out to be a mosquito fogger then I'd certianly set that engine aside. Another very important factor is the bgb. If you have a bad bgb it means splitting the tractor to overhaul. Again it it would be best if they both ran so as to be able to judge the rest of the drivetrain. One more point to consider is the condition of the differential and rear axle tube. I have a similar situation but not quite the same. I have 2110 as well as a 3012v that I bought as non-runners. Both as it turns out will take quite a bit of work before they'll be workers but I decided to work with the 3012 first as it has a newer running 16 hp engine. I pretty much have until spring to get them up and running so I've been just collecting the needed parts and doing what I can as time allows.

cwm1276
Let me suggest a different path. Tear down tractor #1 keeping #2 together. As you reassembly #1 you have #2 still together to help figure out how it goes back together. sm01 At that you can start stealing the needed parts for #1. #2 could even a be a test bed for testing engines or other parts.

Storm7012
This is what I started with.

It was pretty rough. Good BGB but the engine needed rebuilt. A LOT of hours cleaning and and sanding, grinding and sanding a little more. Oh, and alot of sand blasting at work on the weekends. Couple hundred dollars in paint and supplies. Hundred and fifty on engine parts, gasket kit, carb kit and rings. I ended up with a pretty sweet, if I say so myself 64' LL.

I enjoyed every hour I spent working on it, and thats really what it's all about. I just want to see alot of pictures of the fun you have.....:D

Dark
check heavy wear areas on both like front swivel bushings and steering parts also what tractor has the better frame and rear end? any cracks or stripped bolts ? hard to really judge from the two but IMO i would start with a good frame base.

Vassal
If you're talking about doing a full-on restoration, I would take the same route suggested by Storm. I look at both tractors as a single collection of parts. I would tear them both down, review the parts and sort out the best parts for the restoration. Whatever remains in the 'usable' pile would get tagged, bagged or boxed up for a future restoration or spares.

Storm7012
quote:
Originally posted by perry
uh! storm, what happen to the lift lever on the right ? . i dont see it on your finished pics......
It's on the shelf waiting on a Big Ten I plan to do sometime.

AC_B-1Novice
WOW so much to think about...Storm that looks great. With all the things ahead of me it looks like I will have to work with both tractors at the same time. I may have to wait till spring when it is warmer. I can't get them both in my woodworking shop where there is heat and still be able to do any work. Some very good ideas and advice given so far and very appreciated as I think I may have the courage to begin when the weather is right. Any more suggestions are welcome and all I can get will help me greatly. Meanwhile I can ponder on these and any more ideas and get prepared to start. larry

GWGAllisfan
Both look very recoverable. I'd see if you can get either engine running, then check the Bevel gear box. If that's good on both, just pick one and use the other for parts to finish, as well as a re-assembly diagram. I think #2 might be a little better, but #1 is far from gone. My 64 landlord looked at least as bad as either of these when I started refurbishing it.

Storm7012
Pick the one with the best bgb and pull it in and start taken it apart. PM me with an email and I'll send you pics of mine in the process. I took a few pics of it in all the stages.

xenon172
Number 2 looks like the easier one to do in my opinion based on the photos. Beyond that everything else seems to have been pretty well covered in the replies already posted.

HubbardRA
No doubt what I would do, that would be to get both of them working. There are plenty of used parts available on this site and on ebay. I see no reason to cannibalize either of those tractors for parts. I only have one tractor that was "not" resurrected from parts of other partial machines. Parts I buy, trade for, parts people are going to throw away, etc. all get collected, and when I have what is needed, I build another tractor. Right now I only have three runners, but I have parts for two more. Hope to get started building another soon. Have fun with your project.

Chris727
My observation is that both should have been 9hp models (mfr# 990314)based on the orange-colored transmissions and black dashboards. They both appear to have newer 4 screw carbs typical of a 10hp replacement engine, though the #2 does still have what looks a like a 9hp model 23D engine due to the oil breather and metal ID tag. #2 has been worked over pretty good, it no longer has the original ignition system as someone has added a 12V coil, it is also the most disassembled, it was probably taken apart because something was wrong with it. In reality a visual inspection doesn't do more than state the obvious, they may both have bad engines or may both have good engines. As others have said, you'll have to check out the mechanical condition of each. Check the mower decks for rust holes under the covers, problems with baffles, and condition of arbors. While you can probably fix both, if you do only keep one you need to keep the best of everything.

pungo
A restoration can be difficult if the object doesn't "Speak" to the Restorer. One doesn't restore a water pump, they repair it, that is the difference. Hate to get all "Zen" on you but thats it in a nutshell. Of the choices between one and two? I liked one, it hadn't been messed with as much by previous owners.I like an original canvas, so to speak, the way it is supposed to be. If your motivation is purely utilitarian, a functional tractor, then the advice given by others here is gold.I would want a solid BGB and Trans. Unlike some others I am a motor freak and wanted a perfect example, which calculates into big dollars, many would say wasted dollars, since a good running engine can be obtained with a minimum outlay and can look good as well.I spent close to 600 bucks on the engine alone, and though it will never be perfect runs sweet.I justified this by pricing new Briggs motors that were not cast iron and lacked the OEM quality I envisioned in my head. Sometimes during a restoration we make choices not based on the practical but the vision we have of how they should be. You asked what would I do? Start with tractor one,strip it down and clean, paint,while the motor rebuild process takes place. Then rob good sheetmetal from tractor 2 to complete,with a few choice items purchased from friends here and ebay. But you can bet tractor 2 would be running and usable when I finished. One pride and joy and one beater to have fun with, the best of both worlds.

PhanDad
It might be obvious, but take lots of pics as you tear the machines down. Even though the exploded parts diagrams are good, it sure helps to have pics when putting the parts back together.