Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
trucker1172

1970 landlord 3210 limited slip problem!

trucker1172
I have a 1970 simplicity landlord 3210v with manual lift. Just got done with an engine rebuild and some other issues, tractor always wokred great, mainly drove in mud. Recently in a snowstorm i went to plow and made two strips. All of a sudden only the left wheel was spinning, which is keyed into the drive shaft. The right wheel has a limited slip mechanism on it. Currently it is not working, i have never seen these and really khow nothing about how they work or what is wrong with mine or how to fix it. All i can tell you is that the right shaft comes out of the rear and has a hub of sorts with a gear reduction looking thing that the wheel bolts onto and a collar with allen screws that tighten against the end of the driveshaft to keep wheel on. Is there a way to manual lock this wheel? CAn anybody help me understand how this works and how the limited slip works.....Thanks so much, new to this forum. Tim in PA

trucker1172
thanks for the link, i'll check it out. I checked to make sure collar is tight, it has two square head bolts that go through it and the bolts seem to be machined with a half circle or round insert instead of a flush cut at the thread end. They press against 2 half circle nubs that stick out from the axle. At first i thought the bolts sheared off, but it looks like they where machined this way. The collar doesn't seem to attach to the wheel assembly, so i'm not sure how the wheel acutally is limited slip...thanks for your help guys i'll have to get some pics on here, really a nice piece of machinery.

HubbardRA
The square head bolts push against brake pads. This is the limited slip feature. You need to pull the right hub off. I am guessing that you sheared the rollpins that hold the gear onto the right hub. If the left side is still pulling, then it is only because the limited slip feature is working, but driving only the left wheel. This tractor has a true differential, and either wheel can spin if traction is lost. The limited slip feature is just a brake that makes the two work together. Check those pins to see if they have sheared.

perry
[IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/DifferentialAssy1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/DifferentialEarly.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/DifferentialLate.jpg[/IMG]