Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need steering help for 7012

Torino

The steering is really hard especially to one side. Any suggestions on what to do? I have greased everything. I read to grease the shaft and the pinion. Where exactly do I grease the shaft?

I usually shoot some oil on the gears and the steering shaft where it goes through the dash. I would also jack up the tractor and see if the wheels free spin. I replaced all of the bearings (inner and outer) on my 7112 and she steers real nice. jh

Jack up the front axle with the wheels still attached and then try the steering. If it is free-er, drop the spindles to see if the shafts are gouged. If that is the case, there are a couple of options maybe.

Make sure that fitting underneath is well-lubed. Also pull the battery and clean out where the shaft goes thru the dash tower, and lube it (use graphite so it doesn't catch leaves, grass, etc.). Like others said, if no weight on it and it doesn't steer right it's something binding.