Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

front weights

ac.d17iv

Just for the looks. Ther's not much you'd need that much front weight for. Although that would look good on my 620, all that would really do is wear the front end out sooner.

The only time that 180# (those are 45# weights) would be needed is when pulling a very heavy trailer with a high mounted ball. I have an adjustable hitch and was trying to move my tandem axle trailer with a car on it. I had to put quite a bit of weight on the front to keep the tractor from rearing up when I tried to get the trailer moving. I have 4 of those JD weights that I bought and used when I was tractor pulling. Back to your question, I have built a couple hitches to put weight on the front of tractors. We needed front weight when participating in pulling competitions. The best one was made to attach to the front axle, just like the other attachments, except each side had two pins to hold it. I still have it and put it on only when I need it. Same with the weights, since they create wear on the front end, and only have to be there when absolutely needed. Here is an old picture of our 61 Wards puller from several years ago. You will see weight racks on the front, middle, and rear. In the picture the front rack has barbell weights bolted to it, but if you look closely you will see it is a piece of 1/4 thick flatbar and the hang on (suitcase) weights will also fit on it. You can see one of the JD weights hanging on the middle rack in the picture. The front weight rack is the one held on by the pins and will fit any of my simplicity/AC tractors.

I would also be concerned about the front frame to BGB connection. Adding weight to the front will increase the stress there if you are lifting the front end off the ground.

That is a very good price for the ones that Levi posted above. About the same as I paid for my JD weights. Seems that a local JD dealer had a misprint in a flier that I got hold of. The 45 lb weights were advertised for $15.95. At the time I was a little short on cash, but scraped up enough to buy 4 of them. Had to have a discussion with the manager and almost threaten a lawsuit to get them at the advertised price, since the manager said their cost from the factory was twice that. He took all the rest of the brochues out of the store and threw them in the trash, then also put a large sign on the door saying they were not honoring the price in the brochure for suitcase weights because it was a misprint. Glad I was the first to try and purchase the weights, since I got mine at the price in the flier.:D