Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

9020 SUCCESS

D-17_Dave

You can't tell by all the clutter but I've been in my shop pretty heavy the last couple of weeks. I've had several pressing things going on but I'm finally getting back to some old projects. I tore apart my D-15 over the Christmas holiday and now I'm waiting on some parts from SLI. It'll be the weekend or maybe next week for that so I toted it back out and brought in my 9020 project. Some of you may remember I had it as far as running but I had the power steering control in upside down so I had to cut up all the custom work and start again. Also the hydrostat was rebuilt several years ago and I'm just now getting to use it but it was assembled wrong so forward on the control was reverse on the tranny. Ain't that enough to brighten your day after all the assembly. Well, I started into it again this morning by removing the hydrostat. It came apart and was wrong just where I thought it was but, the gaskets came apart so I'll need to source a couple of gaskets before I can go back together with that. Then I tackled the steering control. I managed to scrounge enough room in the narrow column to flip the control over and get the mounts welded into place. This is the only pic I took time to get between a fire call and a phone call. Phone call was that my sister had a heart attack and had to have stints put in. She's fine now and should be home tom. evening. Tom. I'll get the rest of the refabbed mounts painted and the dash reassembled. I hope to find the gaskets close by. If I can I should have it running sometime this weekend and finish painting the fenders and hood for final assembly. This has been one LONG experiment so I hope it all works out. I'll have more pics tom.

Dave, I remember this project. Glad to see your back at it again. Lookin forward to more pics and explanations. Hope your sister continues to do well.

That is going to be a sweet tractor. I am down the road from you in Mooresville. Would love to see it when you finish.

I spent all day in the shop working on the tractor today. Here's what I have done so far.

As you can see I got the column done with all the modifications I wanted. The narrow column is quite the challenge to cram all the valve assembly into while retaining the hydro controls and route the lines as needed. I couldn't get the engine to run tonight before I quit for dinner so I'll check it all out tom. and assemble the dash and route the electrical. The dash is already wired, I just need to install the lower dash and switch. I'll block off the air intake screen in the dash to help with the noise if and when I put the cab on. The engine will get plenty of air from not having the cooler over the front of the engine. I'll plumb a external oil cooler in the grill before I finish for good cooling.

You can see things are pretty tight with all the line routing but things are secure and ready to run if I can get the carb. problem fixed.

The lines looks alot better know then when I left there Dave.Have fun over there.Alot of BSing and some tractor time again

Very nice Dave, so when this one is complete you will have 2 powermax's up and running. I know it makes me jealous and probably others too.

quote:
Originally posted by joshuaareed
Very nice Dave, so when this one is complete you will have 2 powermax's up and running. I know it makes me jealous and probably others too.
Well, the old saying is one tractor per attachment isn't it? I count 12 attachments for my 620 so,,,,,I'd better ge busy.8D:D^

That sure is a tight spot to put all that stuff in!! The time and care you take with it are the mark of a "Real Mechanic".dOddOd Are you making patterns as you go along so you can market conversion kits? :D

Before I consider any "kits" or anything else I need to get this version of PS operating and evaluate the responsiveness and control the operator might have, and check out the durability of the conversion. The column mods need to be tough enough to take the abuse of various conditions. I won't consider anything a success until I drive and use it under real conditions.

Well, I hope this is the last time I have to disassemble this tractor for awhile. My goal was to install the updates and Power Steering without any exterior seen modifications. Here's the results. I did get the engine to fire today, 2 bad spark plugs from setting so long just wouldn't let me see anything the other day. After getting the engine running I could finally see if the torque amplifier I installed would perform as I hoped. I'm very pleased. Pressure from the charge pump looks to be plenty and the flow I get is more than satisfactory at idle speed. I do get a small amount of lag at idle if I really push the steering fast, but no lag as fast as I can turn it at anything above low idle. I hope to have the fenders painted and hood on Monday, then I'll decide whether or not I'll put the cab on this tractor. I'm leaning towards that but I'm not sure yet. It's supposed top be in the teens here tom. and the next 3 days so this might help me with the decision. Heres a few more pics of my progress.

I still have a little wiring to do and install a battery that I got while out for dinner. When I get the hood on I'll deal with the oil cooler.

Levi, I have everything for duals out the front but, I have that on my 620 and never use them so I figured I wouldn't mess with it on this one. I don't have anything I would use it for since it runs piggy back or=ff the rear lift. Most all the time I have something front mounted I also have something on the rear lift too so that would upset it. Now if I could figure out how to stuff that 3 spool valve in there too I'd have it made.;)

I've never owned a Powermax, but it seems to me power steering is the only thing that kept it from being just about perfect. Why was it never offered by Simplicity?

Dave It would be nice with a retrofit upgrade like the Legacy XL has. A 5 way joy stick, up down, left, right & float with a diverter switch/selector valve. One joy stick controls front, mid & rear hydraulics. You can have loader on front mower in middle and tiller on rear. All controlled by the joy stick and diverter switch/selector valve.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Austin
    • Tom45
    • maxwood
    • PhanDad
    • Bill725
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts