Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My first new ring job.

RUMBLEFISH

Well this morning I removed the piston and here is what I saw? I am bringing the block to a local lawn mower shop that I ordered rings from who told me he will run a ball hone thru cylinder which looks good. But I don't know if I also should order a piston for $95 Ouch as well. [IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/5xlhqp.jpg[/IMG] The other side. [IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/2en3yn5.jpg[/IMG]

+1 here too... unless this is a worker and you need it tomorrow.... think about a complete rebuild kit... $100-$150 on ebay... rings, piston, bearings, gaskets etc etc etc.... did this smoke, run poorly, or what? BTW, if you can, watch the shop guy hone the cylinder... you can get the tool pretty cheaply and easily do that job yourself with a drill press or even a hand drill so long as all you need is to re-ring and just break the glaze on the cylinder. I dont know this seller from adam... and i would shop around but this is an example of what you get when searching "kohler engine rebuild kit" at ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/12HP-ENGINE-REBUILD-KIT-FOR-KOHLER-K301-FREE-TUNE-UP_W0QQitemZ380190915813QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item588524fce5

quote:
Originally posted by jlasater
Personally, if I was into the engine that far, I'd replace the piston and bearings.
That is kind of what I'm thinking.What bearings do you mean? Yea I know rookie question but I want to order the right stuff. Thanks

you could just polish the piston skirts with some scotch-brite pads... dont take off too much just make it shiny and smooth out the scuffs a little... and of course clean it well... You probably already know but there is a pattern for how the rings go on the cylinder (where the ring openings are on the "clock" as looking down the cylinder)... there is also a top and bottom to each ring...

Before you buy anything have the bore measured to make sure you don't need more than a simple honing. Then if you have to go .010 or .020, you can start looking for parts. The Kohler manuals also contain tolerances for ring grooves etc so you'll know if you need a new piston. The kit listed on Ebay consists of aftermarket parts and is a good quality item for the price. I have used them with good results but prefer OEM even though they are more expensive. Measure the crank for tolerances to make sure that doesn't have to be reground. I would replace the crank bearings as well but that's just my personal preference. If the engine has balance gears replace the pins and bearings. Lastly when you put everything back together make sure that crank and cam end play are properly set.

I would clean it up smooth it up and ring it. Don't need to fix what ain't broke. Check your breather and clean it up good,it can cause your eng. to smoke. These things are fun to work on but it's more fun when you can keep the cost down.

This engine is a Briggs, to my knowledge there are no kits for the B&S 9 and 10hp horizontals, for a while a guy was selling some for the 14-16hp engines. This is on a big ten with a 243431 engine correct? If so the standard piston, part # 299085 lists for $83.20 through briggs and sells for about $79 at Jacks Small Engines. The $95 quotes is far overpriced. You can also buy a .020 oversized if boring is necessary. Even if you don't replace the piston, at least replace the piston pin, they are usually worn and cost less than $10. I could be wrong but I thought a "ball hone" was used in aluminum cylinders, not cast iron? Can anyone verify this?

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
This engine is a Briggs, to my knowledge there are no kits for the B&S 9 and 10hp horizontals, for a while a guy was selling some for the 14-16hp engines. This is on a big ten with a 243431 engine correct? If so the standard piston, part # 299085 lists for $83.20 through briggs and sells for about $79 at Jacks Small Engines. The $95 quotes is far overpriced. You can also buy a .020 oversized if boring is necessary. Even if you don't replace the piston, at least replace the piston pin, they are usually worn and cost less than $10. I could be wrong but I thought a "ball hone" was used in aluminum cylinders, not cast iron? Can anyone verify this?
Yes someone please let me know if I can in fact use the ball hone on the block.

Normally all the hone is used for is breaking/removing the glaze on the cylinder so that the new rings will seat. I have used both the ball hone and the three stone hone on cast iron engines.

quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Normally all the hone is used for is breaking/removing the glaze on the cylinder so that the new rings will seat. I have used both the ball hone and the three stone hone on cast iron engines.
Thanks