Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What to buy?

cdellarocco

Hello gentelmen and ladies, I am getting ready to purchase an older tractor. I will be restoring the tractor but also using it on my small horse farm. I have ran across a few that I am interested in and I was looking for some advise from the members. The first tractor is a 69 Simplicity Broadmoor that has been almost completely restored. It needs some cables for the choke and a rear tire along with the carb needing to be cleaned. It has a moving deck and plow. The next tractor is a Allis Big 10. The engine would need to be rebuilt but it is running. There are no attachments with this tractor. It appears to have a front PTO and a 3 point hitch on the back which I think is very important for what I would ultimately like to do with the tractor. The last one is a 3410 Landlord with a tiller and deck. This engine also needs to be rebuilt. I'm looking for some guidence...I would love to find a loader so I can move the manuer and load some dirt. I would also like to be able to grade my property so a 3 point hitch is a gem. I know the 69 would not be able to do all this but I could get it for a steal at $200.00. The Allis is 250 and the landlord is 500. Is it possible to still find loaders? Which one do you guys think I should buy? Thanks, Chuck

I'm parshall to the Big-10 I have two of them also a B-10 and a B-12. They all do more then a person should ever ask of them,real work horses. I have a loader on the B-12 it's a back saver,I have a tiller,snow thrower, Front blade.rear blade.vac,and mower decks they handle them all with no effort.

Two words,,,, ebay, craigslist. Oh, browse the classifieds here and you will find what you need. I also agree with the posts below. If you want to "play around in the yard" then go with the Broadmoor aka "small frame tractor". If you want a "work tractor", then you need to go with the large frame tractors. Besides, there are a lot more attachments for the bigger tractors including loaders, sickle bars, moldboard plows, sweepsters, forklifts, generators, "Johnny buckets" and many many more.

The decks, tillers, plows, and blades are fairly easy to find for a Big Ten. You can find loaders, but you might have to drive fairly far to get one.

There was a nice 101 with a loader from RI that was on CL last month. Haven't seen it recently though so it may have sold. For what you are looking for I would definitely skip the Broadmoor, esp for $200. $250 for the Allis sounds okay knowing it has the 3pt. Don't see too many loaders going by themselves (or at all) up here in CT, though I did see a sickle bar on CL for $200.

I agree for what you want the Broadmoor is not large enough. The attachments you want are more available and interchangeable between the Big 10 and the 3410. If you really want a loader there are more loaders around for the B10 than for the 3410.

Since he was considering a broadmoor I would suspect a Powermax wasnt in the budget :) There is a huge price difference between a B10 and a Powermax. I saw that ad here in CT, have it printed out and hanging on my cube wall lol. It was supposed to be a reminder to email the guy but I never got around to it :P $1800 was a bit much anyway!

I agree the big 10 is the choice of the three. As you stated you wantted to do some grading, there is also a center mount grader blade for the FDTs ie. Big 10. Sweet attachment. The 'sleeve hitch' on the back of these isn't really a 3 pt hitch, just so you don't get misguided and buy some good deal on a true 3 pt attachment. It's a good working system, but could basicly be called a forrunner of the 3 pt system.

quote:
Originally posted by kenmill1958
Theres a 616 here in NJ. Guy wants 1000 for it. With loader and deck around 2000. Been for sale since about last Oct
Can you PM me his email address?