Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Daddy's Lego's

Simpleton7016

The kids are completing their final lego sets for the year and I am home alone with them all week. So we all spread out our projects in the basement and got to work. I got mine done just moments before the Lego Police Command Center was completed. Now I have twins....but not for long. These things are destined to be fodder so that I can build up some Terra Tiger fundage.
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Daddy Legos.jpg[/img]

Very nice restoration!! :D I just added a link in the Ebay/CL listings for a used one in the Boston area... wish I had a use for it cause it is at a good price and I would not have shared. :I

Whoa, it does look green in that picture! I had to run downstairs and take a look again (thanks for the myocardial infarction)....just bad lighting.

So I am not the only adult playing with legos with the kids. I spent 6 hours last weekend with my 8 year old son building this monster. We had a blast.

i love them sickles :D. them 2 there are sweet. are they NOS or restore's ?. hopefully i stuble across one on one of my future tractor hauls ;).

Those are a couple of nice pieces. But what kind of lighting turns something (I'm guessing is yellow) that funny shade of green??:O

They are restored. I like to think better than original because I addressed many of the weaknesses that plague these units. I am not a lighting expert....nor an expert on much of anything for that matter. Maybe it is a dirty trick from the john deere folks since the finish coat of paint I used was John Deere Yellow.

dOd Erik You say you are going to turn the mowers into tractor funds. What price range are you thinking about. I have a weird slope at the roadside where it meets my lawn and I need a sickle mower mower to cut it on an upward slant from the lawn side and a downward slant from the road side. I could be interested in trying to find a mutually agreeable price.sm01

These are the third and fourth ones I have restored. I am curious (and hopeful) about what they will bring on the open market. Both times that I listed the restored sickles before, I was offered what I consider "no-brainer" buy-it-now offers to end the auction early: $675 and $750 respectively, but those were within just hours of the beginning of the auction. So I listed locally for $800 this time and so far, not one single bite. The auction is already fetching more than what I have into it (minus lots of labor), so I am going to let it run now, but you can contact me off line about the yellow one. I only have enough parts (needle bearings, heim joints, knives, pitman arms, hardware, etc)to restore one more, and I already committed to doing BLT's sickle. After that, I will be out of the sickle business b/c to buy replacement parts individually is just too expensive....all my current parts came from that Florida haul last year. I really do enjoy the restoration though, it really is like an adult lego set. Once the parts are cleaned and painted, the reassembly is quite enjoyable. Plus, it was pretty cool seeing the excitement on the buyers faces when they came to pick them up. Both previous buyers were retired guys that wanted them for their show / parade tractors. Frankly, I would kinda get that "fingernails on the chalkboard" feeling if I knew that someone was actually going to put these to use. I have not listed the yellow (green Roy, :p) Allis bar yet, but as is usually the case with all things yellow, I think that one will bring more....except I ran out of the cable-lift brackets, so I am scavenging for one before I list. I am thinking maybe I will document the restoration of Bob's sickle for the archives....I have definitely learned some tricks and found the weaknesses in these things.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:
Plus, it was pretty cool seeing the excitement on the buyers faces when they came to pick them up.
I believed this at the time I typed it, but I am afraid that it was a load of horse hooey. The excitement only feels good when you get your price. :( Buyer picked it up last night and he was in fact, delighted....I would be too.

Bummer Erik, I know how you feel. Sometimes you hit a homer...sometimes you sit on the bench... Look at the average, it makes it easier...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Snojetter
    • GregB
    • mbsengineer
    • Chris727
    • simplewrench
    • Darl Swartz
    • Bill725
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts