Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dynodave

Broadmoor-727-5010 differential

dynodave
HI All Thanks for the tip on the 3 speed gearbox(with snow blower first) for my 717. Well Ebay yeilded a basket case 728 for $70 in NJ. Good trip down from Boston area via I84 and tapanzee bridge. HORRIBLE trip back via I95 and George Washington bridge stop and go for over an hour to go a few miles to cross the bridge then manhatan (not even rush hour)....never again. I've already had my $70 of fun tearing this thing apart. But the bad news is the trans had a bunch of internal stuff rusted from humidity...gears and shafts. I can probably get-by cleaning most of it up. Th biggest puzzlement is the 165019 LH axle shaft assy gear teeth are 1/2 worn away. The differential should in theory place equal load on both the RH and LH axles. I wonder if it is a lack of hardening that made only the LH side wear away? Of course it is NLA on the look up web sites. Are ther any real good sources for this kind of stuff? I could make one but buying one ususlly makes more sense. Also I can clearly see the 717/728 gearbox mount differences, as well as a lot of other drive differences. cheers

TomSchmit
Too bad that the tractor had a bad tranny after you travelled so far for it! Hopefully you can find a good one closer to you, or here is one they will ship: http://cgi.ebay.com/SIMPLICITY-BROADMOOR-TRANSAXLE-CAST-IRON_W0QQitemZ260529980128QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca8cc02e0 Tom

dynodave
Tom Thanks for the tip. In the first thread the guys taught me the 3 speed has a PTO shaft on the LH side. This ebay one seems to be a 2 speed. Since I did a fair comparison of the parts lists, it seems the gears and shafts have only a few comon part #'s between the two series. Not even the LH output is the same, though I suspect only the wheel hub drive hole in the shaft is locate more inboard on the 717. I think the output shaft gear is 12 pitch 28T but I have to find out if it is 20º, 14.5º (can buy from browning gear) or other pressure angle. I'd still like to find another 3 speed g-box.