Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3012 governor issue

joshuaareed

I have a simplicity 3012 which I bought last year from Elon. It currently has a 13hp Briggs in it. When I use the tractor for a while and it warms up the governor lever freezes in one spot and will not move up or down. There are no obstructions and the governor operates properly until the Engine gets totally warmed up. Any and all help or advice will be appreciated. Thanks Josh

Josh, I had a problem with a governor arm that had been pushed too tightly against the block when it was adjusted. It would jam the linkage and it would not move. All I had to do was loosen the clamp and put just a little clearance between the arm and the block. It works fine now. I refuse to say who did the adjustment and assembled it too tightly since it might tend to incriminate me.:D

The carb linkages are loose and moving freely, and Rod the governor arm is to the very end of the shaft away from the block. Thanks Guys Also after everything cools down the governor arm is free moving again.

Josh, The reason that I had originally pushed it tight against the block was that the governor gear would disengage if the arm was too far out on the shaft. When that happened it would stick in one place. I pulled out on the shaft with pliers and pushed the arm inward to remove any possibility of the gear disengaging. Just got it too tight the first time. This is on my AC713H. The governor works fine now. This is also a 13 Hp B/S.

Just for the record, any time the outside temp. is below 70 degs.,frost or ice can form on the inside of the carb. This was something they pounded into our heads when I worked for Texaco. At that time anyway they claimed to always have additives in the gas to prevent icing in the carb. when temps would be below 70. I know I have had the carb on my plane ice up when it was above freezing. Food for thought, Chris

The reason for the winterizing kit/winter shield is to prevent carb icing. It has as much to do about the moisture in the air as to the air temperature. The higher the humidity level at 40° and below the higher the chance of carb icing. The intake of cool/cold moist air at an increased speed thru the venturi of the carb causes a drop in temp below freezing causing ice in and around the carb throttle shaft causing it to freeze tight. You can have two tractors exactly alike and one might be effected by carb icing and the other will not be. The winter shield is designed to direct warm air from the muffler to the carb and air intake to prevent this. I had a 7016H that I never ran a winter shield on. My friends 7014 had to have it installed as soon as it got cold out.

Just to be clear the arm is not freezing, but in fact it is binding in one spot. Rod I will try your trick, but there is a small cotter pin behind the governor arm. Thanks for all the replies guys.

Josh, I don't remember seeing a cotter pin on my unit. Maybe it was missing and that was why I had the original problem on mine. I thought I had a broken governor till I set mine the way it is and it worked. In fact, I was looking for a used governor assembly till I got it working. Yours may not be like mine but it sure sounds very similar.

Josh - I had exactly the same problem on my B-112 several years ago. It would work fine until warmed up and then the governor would freeze up. Finally I gave in and ordered new internal governor parts and pulled the engine apart. I found a small imperfection (bump) on the internal governor gear shaft. How it got there, I don't know. Apparently once it got hot enough it expanded and made too tight a fit for the shaft to move relative to the governor gear. Cold it worked. How it worked for the first 38 years and then started causing problems, I don't understand. This "bump" seemed to be securely fused to the shaft. I can't imagine a small piece of metal floating around with the oil getting so securely fused to the shaft. I simply took some emery cloth to it to remove the bump, put everything back together, and it has worked fine ever since. Glen

That's exactly the problem I've been having for the last 3 or 4 years with my old landlord (D-19 Briggs) No one else I've ever talked to has ever heard of that! We fumbled around and sanded it as best we could without having to pull the engine off. It got a little better, but never completely gotten over it. I didn't even put the snowthrower on it this year for the first time because of that problem... I wonder it you can still get a replacement governor for that old 64 Briggs anymore? Randy

quote:
Originally posted by RandySm
That's exactly the problem I've been having for the last 3 or 4 years with my old landlord (D-19 Briggs) No one else I've ever talked to has ever heard of that! We fumbled around and sanded it as best we could without having to pull the engine off. It got a little better, but never completely gotten over it. I didn't even put the snowthrower on it this year for the first time because of that problem... I wonder it you can still get a replacement governor for that old 64 Briggs anymore? Randy
If your talking about the 23D you can still get them. Just rebuilt mine last summer and replaced the one in it.

Thanks Glen I really appreciate it, and now I have somewhere to look. But for now I think I will just do an engine swap to get me through the winter. I have a 7013 sitting in the garage with a donor motor.