Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

snow blade shoe question

steve-wis

I have three snow blades and all have the shoes that are bolted on with two bolts to the blade and have the round wear cup on the bottom. My problem is that the adjustment from one set of holes to the next is too large. In one, the wear strip is tight to the ground, and in the next, the blade is about 3/4 inch off the ground. I like to set the blade about 1/8 off the ground. Did they make adjustable shoes for these? The other option is to slot the holes in the shoes so I can adjust them closer. Any suggestions? Steve

I have the older style blade with a set of holes about a half of an inch higher, but they are stepped up and to the side of the lowest holes, I use the 2 holes that are o the inside of the lowest holes. Hope this makes sense to you.

Josh, I need something between those two sets of holes, one is too low, the next is too high. And Mike, yes I do need a welder, but don't have one right now. I thought maybe there was an adjustable set that was factory made, or maybe someone on here had designed and made some. I think I will slot the holes in the shoe mounts to give me the adjustment I need. Thanks for the advice and help! Steve

Wear strip looks good yet. I can put the blade right down by moving the shoes to the next set of holes, and it will scrape clean. If I move to the next holes the blade is too high. I am just being too fussy on how I want the blade, I guess, but slotting the shoes will let me set it where ever I need it. Steve

I made a set of adjustable shoes for mine that can be adjusted by washers. I just welded a vertical tube to a set of worn out shoe brackets, then mounted a shoe on a long bolt(couldn't find longer pins) drill some holes for hairpins and quickly adjustable shoes. They even pivot to follow the plow. I am not using them right now and don't remember where I put them so I can't take a picture. I will look for them

I was in the same boat with my 42" blade and my (rubble) drive....I drilled new holes in the blade to where I wanted it and socked the bolts down hard..hoping never to be changed for a long time. That was my easy answer:D