Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Not Simplicity But Free

xenon172

Just in time for Christmas or at least close enough. Got this one for free and even got free delivery. The motor has some issues since it was run low on oil but it didn't blow. Hopefully it won't cost a whole bunch to rebuild even though it has those new fangled overhead valves and the cylinders are bent to 90 degrees. It should fix up pretty good and generate get some money into the tractor fund. It even has a 48" deck that is in great shape.

The price was right, actaully for a craftsman, thats not a bad machine. It appears to have the 6 speed Hi-Lo transmission, same as the ones used on the 60's and 70's Suburban tractors. Its also one of the last ones to have the better frame. They stopped building it when they went to a step through frame around 2003 or 2004.

My Dad has this same model, he's been thru two engines so far... head gaskets are not the best on the Kohlers, I told him to stick with the Briggs version }:) It's not bad especially with his 6' swisher offset to tow behind and get 9' of grass done at one time. He also has the 46" 2stage blower that does well... when I don't get there first with my truck!! :D His only complaint is that the deck is too low even on the highest setting which stinks when attempting leaf duty.

Well the fact that the rear wheels bolt on and aren't held on with a c-clip is a bonus! Gotta love those newer cheap tractors at home despot.

My dad has the hydro version of the tractor. The 46" snowblower is a pain to mount, and the snow cab is merely a frame with the canvas and clear plastic draped over the frame. My dad has had some medical issues that required me to go over to his place and clear the driveway. The blower lift and chute rotator are difficult to reach and my coat sleeve catches on the slit in the canvas when I try to operate and lift/lower the blower. He got rid of a JD 318 hydro with the hard cab and hydraulic controls. That was actually a nice machine for what it was. These are merely my opinions, also, I had to pick up some shear bolts for the blower and I noticed the MTD logo on the packaging. I think the tractor would be better suited for summer work over winter.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Mach1martysr
    • maxwood
    • SmilinSam
    • Bill725
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts