Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Darkeye219

A small issue with 65 Landlord 101

Darkeye219
New to Club / Forum, and I think this is my first post outside the classifieds. I recently had a meltdown with my 65 LL. Just when I needed it to run, it didn't. I ended up converting to battery ignition and now have GREAT spark. Still, no start. I sent my better half to the local dealer and picked up a carb rebuild kit for the old guy. After a little futzing, it ran. A little more futzing and it ran better than it ever did. Here's the rub - Under load, and only 2 times during the 2 hours I plowed with it, the engine would decide it wanted to stop running smoothly and needed to be idled back and choked for a second or two. Other than that, it was nice to hear it run after several weeks of NOT. I love the old iron, but sometimes wish it would NOT need a 'little tinkering' every now and then. Great forum, and kudos to member crankyyankee for pushing it. I've been to the other side of the site, but had forgotten about the forum side.

Chris727
Welcome to the Club! Your starving for fuel could be because of dirt coming from the tank or possibly even some sort of vapor lock.

D-17_Dave
A couple of things come to mind. First off if pulling the choke on helps it out it sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Lean mixture. You may have a slightly blocked fuel outlet in the tank. After the carb. rebuild you may still not have a rich enough mixture to allow the load on the carb. to go wide open throttle quickly under load. This can cause a lean mixture all at once and slow the rpm's to the point that the choke is the only way to recover. It can also be a cold weather issue and the carb. could be icing up. If this is the case then a cold weather baffle around the carb. from the air discharge is needed.

Darkeye219
I never even thought about the carb icing issue. DUH!!!! It certain;y was plenty cold enough to do that. I'll try making a shield for the old boy tomorrow. DUH!

Darkeye219
Well, Hard to start again today. I assume my old guy is a little cold-blooded. Finally started after, um, a 'few' pulls of the starter cord and a jump. After starting, I noticed that I seem to have a little fuel leakage from somewhere on the top of the carb - perhaps from the throttle shaft. Anyway... Finally started,ran fine, and was going like gangbusters until I shifted into third to make a return pass (plow up) to the top of the driveway. Stalled right out - didn't even WANT to fire. I pulled the plug (dryer than I thought it should be), checked for spark, cranked without a plug, smelled plenty of fuel, yadddah-yaddah-yaddah. Jumped it for a 'few' revolutions and it finally fired. I reset the jet (out to wanting to die, back in to wanting to die, back out to a little more than 1/2 way between. It ran fine for the rest of the plow session, didn't even miss. I'm going to go out and start it in a couple more hours and see if it's any better. I love my old tractor. I love my old tractor. I love my old tractor. I love my old tractor. I love my old tractor. No, really...

Darkeye219
A little more tweaking the carb and letting it get some hours seems to have helped. Thanks to all for the great suggestions. It's not perfect, but starts a LOT easier than it was. Of course out plowing today, I seemed to have lost the limited slip feature on my old guy. A quick look behind the wheel weight and I find a BIG gob of grease squirting out around the axle face. Once again.. I love my old tractor... Martin

dhardin
As u said "I noticed that I seem to have a little fuel leakage from somewhere on the top of the carb - perhaps from the throttle shaft." If you have any gas leaking from the top of carb its most likely the float is sticking. If this your only problem many times a taping of the carb body with a screw driver handle can unstick it. My experience, this will work 50% of the time. But most usually it needs the carb opened and cleaned out. (something is keeping the float from closing off gas) Needle sicking or jammed, or a hole in brass float) You said you just rebuilt the carb, so check the tank for water droplets or rust gunk in the tank. If its in the tank it going to end up in the carb bowl and over time. Many times when put it to a load or hitting bumps and shaking around you will suck this water/rust gunk into the motor. I have a B10 that i use so little over the year that acts just like yours. I have spent a lot of time cleaning out the bad gas. I now have mounted a sediment bow lower than the carb and will empty this every time i use it. Old metal gas tanks are notorious for this. Best fix is to use the tractor more often and this will diminish the problem. Just speaking from experience. Hope i can help Dan H