Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Blown engine...What to salvage?

cdellarocco

I think the title says it all. When you have blown engine and case either is cracked or has a gapping hole in her...What parts do you salvage? Valves, piston, cam??? Just looking for so input. Thanks!

I agree.Hate to be harsh but no matter how many old timers tell me how great their Tecumseh performs I hate em.When they blow they are toast,period. Old Briggs motors get in your blood,but I dislike most of the newer ones as well. Everyone I know is buying "Clones" from Harbor Freight and running them till they blow,then throwing them away and getting another. This seems to be the future for small engines for the average consumer that isn't loyal to a higher-end Brand like Honda or Kawasaki.

quote:
Originally posted by cdellarocco
sorry...7hp tecumsah.
dzdzsm00wahwah At best it was scrap iron when it was running. A boat anchor just polutes your favorite fishing hole. Best bet is toss it in the pile to go to the scrap metal pile and get a few bucks return from it. Most likely be the best thing anyone will ever get out of a Tecumsah.dOddOd

if youve got a hole in your case.... time to look for a new motor... then worry about what to use from your old one.. you never know what deal might come your way or what you might need off the old one... the only issue w/ tecumseh is there less of them around.... IMHO

My 2 cents, I don't throw away ANYTHING that could be of use to someone. Take it apart, whatever isn't broke, save it, sell it, or offer it for free on Craigslist. Used parts could save someone a lot of money. At the very least save your carburetor or any electrical parts.

I had a sears custom seven with a seven horse Tecumseh. I poked a rod though the block. I pasted the pieces of the block back together with J.B. weld, cleaned up the crank with emery cloth,put in a new piston and rod and run it for several years I gave it to a friend of mine when I started collecting A/C's and he used it for a couple years and ended up giving it to his son. I used the tractor for a mower pushed snow,and rock with the blade and really can't complain about the tractor or Eng. It may be cheaper to save it if possible then to replace it.

quote:
My 2 cents, I don't throw away ANYTHING that could be of use to someone. Take it apart, whatever isn't broke, save it, sell it, or offer it for free on Craigslist. Used parts could save someone a lot of money. At the very least save your carburetor or any electrical parts.
I agree here also Tecumseh is a Dieing breed eBay would be a good place to put the parts. even the cylinder block Ive seen blocks with JB weld stay together for years. also the company advertises this...[url]http://www.jbweld.net/products/uses.php[/url]

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
My 2 cents, I don't throw away ANYTHING that could be of use to someone......
I'm with Chris, I'd probably save the whole thing and just stash it. My 2 cents: The 8hp Tec Snow King on my Simplicity 870 walk behind has performed as well as or better than any other small engine I've used. It has never let me down and after 20+ years of service, it shows no signs of surrender.

I would hang on to all the parts. My last Massey project needed an HH100 Tecumseh engine. I went to my spare parts department and found 3 bad HH100 engines. After taking stock of what good parts I had, I built one sweet running engine out of those 3 for only the cost of a gasket set. Lucky for me each engine had different problems so I was able to take the best parts of all three and make one good engine. Now I am known for not throwing anything away but in this case it really did pay off and I still have some useable parts left over for the next project. I even keep odd engines and parts around. Over the years I have been able to trade some stuff I had no use for to others for stuff I could use. Granted I have 2 sheds full of stuff but if you have the room I'd save the parts.

Lots of folks like Tecumseh Engines and will buy parts on Ebay. If it is a snow blower engine the snow hood over the carburetor is a good selling item as well as the carburetor itself. I'm assuming it's a H70 which is still popular and reliable.

I have a Tecumseh H70 on a old snow blower. Its the only Tecumseh I have ever liked. Its will start in the coldest condition if its been checked out in advance. I am not a Tecumseh fan at all. Id say hold on to it and look for parts on ebay or Craigslist.