Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
LesH

Tractor Mounted Wood Chippers---

LesH
Did AC or Simplicity make any tractor mounted wood chippers with the side chute for branches??? Anyone have any luck making the chipper blades from tool steel??

Kent
The dealers sold a Mighty Mac chipper that mounted to the rear. They also sold a Mighty Mac shredder that looked essentially the same, but did not have the chute. From the 1977 Allied Attachments catalog. Chipper-shredder: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/allied_atch/chipper.jpg[/img] Shredder only: [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/allied_atch/shredder.jpg[/img] Additionally, Allis sold a front-mounted shredder designed for shredding compost and leaves... I don't remember ever seeint it advertised for Simplicity machines/dealers.

HubbardRA
I have one of the Mighty Mac chipper/shredders that I recently purchased from Ambler. This thing is awesome. Once you get the hang of using it, you can go through a pile of limbs rather quickly. One of the best attachments that I have purchased.

jlasater
I'm curious if any of the currently available MacKissic chipper/shredders can be adapted to one of our tractors. The lady I contacted at MacKissic was less than helpful and just said "no".

acfarmer
I have 3 of them one goes on a Simplicity/Allis, one is a front mount for a Bolens tube frame and one has been adapted to Cat 1 3pt hitch. They are all basically the same unit just has different mounts welded on them. I'd say adapting one to a Simplcity would be pretty easy.

HubbardRA
The unit that I have was sold originally with it's own engine. I think Roy built the mount and the belt clutch setup for Ambler to mount it on a Simplicity. In fact, mine still has the wheels that were on the stand alone unit. These wheels were not on the factory tractor mounted units.

crankyyankee
I contacted the lady at MacKissic, she was helpful and sent me owners manual. She said you can order parts for these still. I think i saw someone adapt a stand alone to a tractor on this site. If i find it i will let you know.

Roy
Picture is of the Mackissic chipper/shredder I got from Ambler. I made the hitch and clutch/pulley assembly in conjunction with Ambler.

Chipper was originally a self-powered "wheelbarrow" type. Rod left the wheels on his chipper. I took the wheels off mine.

country
I have one that is a stand alone unit, but the engine isn't original. I really only bought it for the engine, but the engine won't work easily for the application I wanted it for. What is the difference in the cutters and hardware between the chipper/shredder and just the shredder? If mine could be adapted easily to become a shredder also, I might be interested in keeping it. Otherwise it's for sale in the classifieds.

UCD
The chipper shredder and the shredder grinder are basically the same on the outside, the difference being the feed chute for the chipper. Internally the hammer mill is basically the same with the addition of the chipper/knife disc for the chipper. the big difference between the two is the chipper shredder has a larger shaft 1 3/16" versus 1" and larger bearings making it a major job and expense to try to convert a shredder grinder to a chipper shredder.