Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wood chipper

kuhner

I have the same "mighty mac", but I'd say 2" diameter sticks, etc are about the limit that it will chip, bogs a 16 horse running half throttle right down. But, it gnaws everything else with ease. Terry

Does the Mighty Mac have hammers or blades to do the cutting/chipping?? I am also interested in a chipper but want one with a flywheel and blades instead of the hammer type. Anyone have experience with the DR Chippers?? Thanks, Roy

Does anyone know if any company made a wood chipper for use on Simplicity, AC garden tractors? Need one up to 4". Has anyone on this group fabricated one at home? Been giving it some thought about making one but the idea of large rotating heavy pieces of metal has been sticking in my mind, pardon the pun 8).

MacKissic made a "Mighty Mac" that fit the Simplicity. There's a picture of one in the Gallery (see link below). I thought about making one, but decided it would be far easier to get a commercial model and just make a hitch so it could be powered by the tractor. [A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/rare_chipper.htm']http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/rare_chipper.htm[/a]

Hey guys, I have a 6hp vertical feed shredder and would rather run the stuff over with the mower deck, the machine is useless. Having cut down or topped numerous trees in the yard, I have rented both the 18HP manual feed ProMark (Angled chute) and 25HP power feed Vermere (both were 6"capacity) and would only rent the power feed machine again. The 25HP machine was under $200 for the day, only needed a 2" ball hitch on a small SUV, and could easily keep up with 3 people feeding it in a tag-team. We would feed it a branch every few feet of travel, so there were 3 branches in it at a time in a continuous process. I'd cut all the trees down and make a hedgerow of braches with the cut ends sticking out, then get a few buddies and the chipper for one day and feed it silly.

I did look at the mighty mac web site. They do not list a model driven off of a garden tractor PTO. I did e-mail them with the question. They do make a disc/blade type rather than the hammer mill style but really expensive.

Greg, What kind of work will you be doing? A “shedder” will process leaves and twigs, but it is time consuming work raking and feeding the shredder. I use a vacuum collector which is far easier. A “chipper” will process branches and logs, but a quality machine is not affordable for the average homeowner. In my area, used “department store” chipper/shedders are readily available. Either they have been worked to death, have blown engines, or are hardly used. Many homeowners don’t realize the noise, vibration, hard work, and danger of using a chipper. The $1,500.00 Mighty Mac 12-PT (see link below), looks like the type machine that might interest you. If you found one with a blown engine, you could power it from your tractor's rear PTO. However, lifting, holding, and hand feeding 3½" branches while the chipper slowly chips away, gets old fast. I won’t use any chipper other than a self-feeder, and I rent those $10,000 machines.[A href='http://www.westsharpening.com/mackissic-chipper3.html']http://www.westsharpening.com/mackissic-chipper3.html[/a]

Dutch, most of my work will be chipping Norway spruce limbs. I have seven trees about forty feet tall. I have priced the whole job for about 1500 bucks. So this started me thinking if I am going to spend this much I should buy my own chipper/shredder and do it myself, but being the cheap-skate that I am, I wanted a better price on my chipper and a way to justify the "AC Collection" to the wife. I could rent one but with my work schedule it is hard to block out a large enough time to complete the job, and most large chippers have a large "up front fee" when you rent. I would much rather cut one down, chip it, on to the next ect. A little at a time. I have tried burning, a small quantity, ended up with a huge black mushroom cloud.

If you’re removing the entire 40’ trees, you’ll have more concerns than 4” limbs. If you’re just trimming limbs and have the room, do all your cutting and stock pile the limbs until you have the time to chip. If you’re just doing 7 trees, all the more reason to rent a self feeder. What will you do with your own chipper after the job is done..?